Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airbag External Torx e10 Bolt -- Which Property Class?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I unscrewed the external Torx e10 bolts holding the knee airbags to allow easier access to the "firewall," but I later discovered that the service manual states that the proper reassembly process should include new and unused External Torx e10 - 19mm bolts. The original bolt head has a metric "Property Class" rating of 8.8 stamped on top. The Tesla OEM part number for the bolt is 1116594-00-B. When I purchased the bolts with that part number at the local Tesla facility, the screws were not embossed with any Property Class at all. Tesla charges 59 cents for each bolt. Mercedes appears to charge about $12.00 for a similar bolt. Can I assume that the 59 cent bolts are of poor quality and should not be used for the airbags. I am concerned that the poorer quality bolts might jeopardize the Tesla warranty. Incidentally, it is not very easy to obtain high quality e10 bolts anywhere in the U.S.A. The bolts are more commonly used in Germain cars such as Mercedes or BMW.

Torx2 (2).jpg

Can I assume that the 59 cent bolts are of poor quality and should not be used for the airbags

I have no skin in this game at all or any real knowledge around this topic, but this quote struck me as odd. Why wouldnt you just assume that BMW / Mercedes are overcharging a ton for the bolt (like they do for almost every other OEM part) rather than automatically assuming that because this bolt is inexpensive, its not the correct part for the car that the manufacturer says it is?

Upvote 0
I have no skin in this game at all or any real knowledge around this topic, but this quote struck me as odd. Why wouldnt you just assume that BMW / Mercedes are overcharging a ton for the bolt (like they do for almost every other OEM part) rather than automatically assuming that because this bolt is inexpensive, its not the correct part for the car that the manufacturer says it is?
I appreciate the comment, and I agree with your logic, but I'm just surprised that there is no hardness markings (Property Class) on the replacement bolts compared to the originals. Hopefully, it is not a cost saving consideration. You know ..... Delete the U/S sensors, remove the radar system, use mushy replacement bolts that are only stressed once.

Upvote 0
I don't think I'd be concerned about the warranty. You got the Tesla bolts from the Tesla dealer and put them in a Tesla in the right position, no?

To add to that, I doubt that the strength of the bolt is very important in this application. If you break a grade 5 bolt, you're probably gonna be dead anyway.
Good comment, although apparently you can drive a Tesla off a mountain cliff (twice??) and still survive. I hope that guy in the news report had the front end PPF applied before he drove off the cliff.

• Funny
Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0