Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Luxist Roadster review

http://www.luxist.com/2011/02/11/tesla-roadster-sports-car-drives-like-a-charm/

...I suddenly feel like I am driving a life size electric toy car. In a sense, that is exactly what it is. And this toy is fun.
tesla-roadster-sport-car-10-1297292149.jpg
The Tesla Roadster Sport is somewhere between a car, appliance, and piece of gadgetry. Designed by gearheads of the video game generation, the Tesla Roadster aims to prove more of a point than it does answer questions about the future sustainability of electric cars. Just driving it already answers any question about electric cars – they work, and work just fine...

Last edited:
Tesla tries to extend the range as much as possible by building in a regenerative charging function in the brakes. This concept isn't new, but makes a lot of sense here. The idea is simply that the friction caused by the car stopping can help recharge the battery – a bit.

This part from the review makes me think the author is under the wrong impression of how the regen works. It makes it seem like she thinks the regen is attached to the brakes. But then this part:
When removing your foot from the pedal, the car immediately starts to slow down due to the regenerative feature. Basically, you don't even need to brake for it to kick in – just not have the Roadster accelerate.
could be construed as unclear to people that do not know how the regen actually works.

Anybody else feel like this when reading that part? The actual paragraphs can be found right before the picture of the driver's side headlight and right after that picture as well.

-Shark2k

When asked how much the regenerative brakes extend the car's range, Tesla doesn't really know. Testing that is tough...

Tesla must/should have some numbers they could throw at the press to give people a reasonable idea of how much difference regen makes to range for some hypothetical typical city, highway and mixed examples.