Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Porsche Taycan 4S review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading @Struja post regarding his Taycan, I had to test drive the Taycan and this is my review. For context, I currently own a 2016 Model S75D and I have done my best to not compare the Taycan to it as my car is almost 8 years old now and is not really a comparable car to a new Porsche.

Summary:

Hands down one of the best cars I've ever driven - the Taycan 4S essentially feels like a bigger 911. It wraps itself around you and feels like an extension of your brain, arms and right foot.
  • Sharp and responsive steering (no surprise, its a Porsche after all),
  • Tight and taut suspension (I drove it primarily in Sport Plus mode, however all the modes felt great - Normal, Sport & Sport Plus)
  • high quality of fit and finish (no surprise there)
  • quiet like a tomb at any speed (except when you turn on the futuristic and uber cool sounding electronic sport sound). Its an EV after all so that also makes a difference in the lack of noise. However I'm referring to the non existent wind and road noise.
    original_41ab4e58-456f-455a-8ac9-23ba27a5a0cc_PXL_20240217_223301510.jpg

The long version (Good)
I got this 2023 Taycan 4S (tons of pics below) for a 3 day weekend and I felt like a kid again. I just wanted to go out and drive it constantly. It's so much fun and entertaining!

My review is clearly slanted in the driving and performance department as that's what I prefer first and foremost (the mode of power generation is not relevant in this context as far as I'm concerned as Porsche has miraculously concealed the almost 5000 lb curb weight). I won't get into the debate of ICE vs. EV as that has been beaten to death ad-nauseam on practically every single EV thread.
  1. Performance: This specific car had the Performance Plus battery option which means it has 562 HP. 0 to 60 is 3.8 seconds (official numbers). The car didn't feel that fast to me as I compared it to my 2016 Tesla Model S 75D that does 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. Perhaps the Taycan 4S has a launch mode. I didn't have enough time to figure out how to use that (assuming it does have that option) as I was just having too much fun driving the car. It cornered as if on rails and in the Sport Plus mode, all the performance touch points were very aggressive/immediate - the acceleration was even more immediate (not sure how that is possible when its already an EV (instantaneous/telepathic throttle response comes with the territory), suspension was more taut, the steering was even sharper and that sonorous electric performance sound track was the icing on the cake! I never imagined I would ever love a futuristic sound track to accompany an EV's forward momentum (notice I didn't say fake engine noise as this was not not trying to mimic an ICE engine noise).
  2. Transmission: I'm no engineer and will not comment on how useful or not the 2 speed transmission is. Suffice it to say that when you're driving in Sport Plus mode, the gear shifting up when accelerating hard or shifting down when slowing down is just music to the ears! I love it!
  3. Track Performance: Nothing to say here. Not my car and I don't really have any interest in tracking a car. I love canyon carving and that's about it. The car aced any corner with flying colors.
  4. Comfort and Practicality: The car is very comfortable in any drive mode other than Sport Plus if you're driving a lot on bad roads or frost heaved pavement that we have in Ontario.
  5. Passengers (so long as you're not over 6 foot tall) will be comfortable in the rear.
  6. In the front, the seats go pretty low, so even a 6 footer will be comfortable.
    • The front seats are heavily bolstered which contributes a lot to the overall driver centric nature of the cockpit.
    • The drivers seat (not sure about the front passenger seat as I didn't have enough time to check) has an amazing adjustability for the thigh support. I posted pics below.
    • Trunk and Frunk size is decent for this size of 4 door sedan. Interior quality is very high as expected and the car is very driver focussed/centric. All the controls are very easy to reach and the car just seems to wrap itself around you and become an extension of you. It's that good.
    • Very effective (but pricey) panoramic roof option that allowed you to make the glass opaque (partially or the whole roof) electronically.

The Not so good (some of this is clearly subjective)
  1. Not a lot of storage space in the center console and you cannot really use the center console as an arm rest for your right arm (its just too hard or I'm just too old ). No surprise there as this is a drivers car first, so your hands need to be at 9 and 3 o'clock position on the steering wheel at all times, so you won't be resting your right arm anyway.
    smile.gif
  2. Android Auto when displayed cannot be setup to show in the instrument cluster and is not integrated with the Heads up Display.
  3. The UI is a tad complex (not the primary controls), however if you own the car, I don't see how you won't get comfortable with it eventually.
  4. I didn't really like the backup camera view as all objects just seemed overly distorted - the lens had too wide of an angle perhaps. Having said that, I'm sure an owner would get used to it and could live with it.
  5. The central display could be a little bigger - this might be a personal bias as I'm used to the massive screen in my car.
original_127c8dd8-b504-449f-8bc9-e53fc893eb2c_PXL_20240217_223146741.jpg
original_80731c1d-37e1-4b91-bc50-8007162d7669_PXL_20240217_223217912.jpg
original_83060fd8-922a-47bf-aa96-ad9cfa5a00b9_PXL_20240217_223314370.jpg
original_baf4916f-1a0d-48f8-8e10-e93fac09c6b7_PXL_20240217_223230211.jpg
original_c302b059-87c8-4448-90f0-c8309dac78a1_PXL_20240217_223331611.jpg
original_e2b87762-4197-4c40-a78f-82db5b747c35_PXL_20240217_223123559.jpg
PXL_20240217_213400899.jpg
PXL_20240217_222956018.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240217_222956018~2.jpg
    PXL_20240217_222956018~2.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 18
Appreciate the review! How’d you score a weekend? Was it a dealer demo, friend?

Last weekend i test drove an i4 M50. It’s not a Taycan but I enjoyed it much much more than my M3P.

You should take one out for a spin. Seriously considering it. I’d love the Taycan but not sure I can bring myself to spend the money. I can afford it but that’s a lot of scratch and seems a bit nuts to me.

Going back to BMW Saturday to spend a few hours with the i4, really put it through its paces. Maybe I’ll drop by the Porsche dealer after. Wife is away with friends all day so my time to play 😉

Reactions: JezzaE and SilverGS
Even a slightly used one, was looking at a nice 4S CT in Mambo Green, nicely optioned and it's 149K CAD... I guess if you compare it to a new MSP which is about 130-139K CAD depending on options, yeah it's not bad.. Still about 40-50K more than a fully-loaded i4 with a BMW Individual color choice.

a 2020/2021 low mile 4S is around $70K. MSRP around $130K. I think it is a decent deal. The Porsche dealer charge bogus over priced maintenance fees though. As always.
I've heard horror stories about the 2020 (not sure about the 2021), but those batteries are apparently not aging well.

I would not touch a 2020 or 2021, they were Porsche's first true EVs...

I guess it depends on what price you put on quality. Porsche stomps all over Tesla when it comes to fit/finish/ride/quality. The fact that a few years ago the Plaid was as much as a nicely optioned Taycan is absolute bananas.

I have had an RSQ8 and an AMG GLE 63 S, and have sniffed the Cayenne for years... They're too expensive. The Plaid at release was way too expensive.

Appreciate the review! How’d you score a weekend? Was it a dealer demo, friend?

Last weekend i test drove an i4 M50. It’s not a Taycan but I enjoyed it much much more than my M3P.

You should take one out for a spin. Seriously considering it. I’d love the Taycan but not sure I can bring myself to spend the money. I can afford it but that’s a lot of scratch and seems a bit nuts to me.

Going back to BMW Saturday to spend a few hours with the i4, really put it through its paces. Maybe I’ll drop by the Porsche dealer after. Wife is away with friends all day so my time to play 😉
Yes, its a dealer demo from the local Porsche dealer. I got the car after the last appointment they had on a Saturday (for driving tests by potential clients) and since the dealer was closed on Sunday and Monday (stat holiday), they said I could keep it for the weekend.

One thing I don't particularly like about the i4 is that the chassis is shared with its ICE counterpart. Its not a grounds up only EV design and has a bunch of compromises (mainly space utilization). I also don't really like the "busy" looking bumpers. Contrast it with the Taycan - the Taycan is such a beautiful car without any needless angles and silly design cues.

Porsches are overpriced in general. As an example, heated seats cost extra on a car that starts at over $130K CAD..................

Getting a used one - say a 2022 and up is a much better deal. And if you get it from a Porsche dealer - you get an extra two years full warranty.

My recommendation to anyone considering an S is to test drive a Taycan - especially a Sport/Cross Turismo (as this model is more comparable in terms of utility and space) and get it used instead. The depreciation hit is just bonkers on these cars and its not worth getting a brand new one IMO

The two major things that stick out with this car (and I suspect this applies to any Porsche) is the extremely high quality (materials, build, fit and finish) and the very engaging driving experience. Two qualities that I value the most in any car.

Reactions: JezzaE
Yes, its a dealer demo from the local Porsche dealer. I got the car after the last appointment they had on a Saturday (for driving tests by potential clients) and since the dealer was closed on Sunday and Monday (stat holiday), they said I could keep it for the weekend.

One thing I don't particularly like about the i4 is that the chassis is shared with its ICE counterpart. Its not a grounds up only EV design and has a bunch of compromises (mainly space utilization). I also don't really like the "busy" looking bumpers. Contrast it with the Taycan - the Taycan is such a beautiful car without any needless angles and silly design cues.

Porsches are overpriced in general. As an example, heated seats cost extra on a car that starts at over $130K CAD..................

Getting a used one - say a 2022 and up is a much better deal. And if you get it from a Porsche dealer - you get an extra two years full warranty.

My recommendation to anyone considering an S is to test drive a Taycan - especially a Sport/Cross Turismo (as this model is more comparable in terms of utility and space) and get it used instead. The depreciation hit is just bonkers on these cars and its not worth getting a brand new one IMO

The two major things that stick out with this car (and I suspect this applies to any Porsche) is the extremely high quality (materials, build, fit and finish) and the very engaging driving experience. Two qualities that I value the most in any car.

Agree the i4 has a bunch of compromises, but if you value the drive and the build quality, definitely go try the i4, just drive it for 20-30 minutes.

I had completely dismissed the i4 until I was driving in front of the local BMW dealer and decided to go try one. It appears too that the real-world range is close to the Model 3, not Model S though.

Just try it! :D

Reactions: SilverGS
I've heard horror stories about the 2020 (not sure about the 2021), but those batteries are apparently not aging well.

I would not touch a 2020 or 2021, they were Porsche's first true EVs...
Personally I would not be worried too much regarding early model issues. Horror stories are every where. Even tesla has it. Most issues should have already surfaced after 3 years. Certified preowned offers extra warranty. Extended warranty is also available at cost. The repair is very expensive though if you are indeed unlucky. And the wait time is likely long too. But I am sure a Porsche dealer will offer you loaner and take care of you.

Personally I would not be worried too much regarding early model issues. Horror stories are every where. Even tesla has it. Most issues should have already surfaced after 3 years. Certified preowned offers extra warranty. Extended warranty is also available at cost. The repair is very expensive though if you are indeed unlucky. And the wait time is likely long too. But I am sure a Porsche dealer will offer you loaner and take care of you.

"not too worried" and "repair is very expensive" are two things I don't want to think about when spending that kind of money. Yes they may get extra warranty If you buy via Porsche, but still, car is already 4 years old and it's a first model year... I'd be more comfortable spending a bit more for a 2022+

This was a very comprehensible and super accurate review that almost exactly echoes my thoughts on the car, just written a lot better. Thanks for this.

In terms of cost… frankly, the sensible side of my brain tells me I should probably be driving a Toyota Camry but it’s hard to quantify the way some cars make some of us feel. I’ve had a Model S for 7 years and it still gives me a rush to drive. I had a 16 year old who’s never been inside a Model S tell me today that my car was like a “space ship”.

Similarly, the Taycan and the way it drives is hard to quantify in monetary terms. I’ve owned a 911 and driven a R8 for long stretches and I like the Taycan more (in the case of the R8 - I like the Taycan way more). So owning one is never a smart financial decision but it was never purchased with that in mind. I buy a lot of things that don’t make sense financially but I don’t think anything brings me more pleasure than my cars.

My wife is a slave to King Corn and cannot breathe inside sedans anymore. I am eying the Macan EV, finally a properly located charge port and NACS.

On a tangent, the Taycan twin Audi e-Tron prices have plummeted to sub-60k used with 10k miles or less on cars.com.

I’m super interested in the new Taycan. I love it. Haven’t driven it yet. That said I drive a lot and really don’t think I can go to a car that doesn’t charger at all superchargers. Once that changes, probably soon, I’ll be forced to take a test drive. I love my M3P with MPP Sport suspension but do miss better dynamics. I want to stay all electric but I think the next 911 turbo is support to be a hybrid. Not sure if I’ll break. Shame the Plaid S is a mess and dynamically terrible. Oh Roadster where art tho?