Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any alternatives to the Mobile Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need a mobile kit and was wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't purchase a Tesla one. Are there any alternatives that have the same quality, maybe more accessories, and priced lower?

Not really. You will find cheaper ones on amazon or something, but they are not the same quality, with proper UL ratings and such. Anything properly UL rated usually costs just as much, or sometimes more.

The tesla one has the additional added bonus of having several different charging adapters ready made for it from Tesla, for most plugs, and the ones that Tesla does not sell direct, there are third party quality ones for it.

There isnt any real reason to get a different mobile adapter than the Tesla one. Arguments could be made for a different wall connector, depending on needs / desires for additional features but for the mobile one, the Tesla one is basically the best quality one you can get.

Need a mobile kit and was wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't purchase a Tesla one. Are there any alternatives that have the same quality, maybe more accessories, and priced lower?
Tom M. has reviewed dozens of EVSEs:

He torture tests them far beyond what a typical owner would do.

Most EVSEs work well and I've bought two J1772 style, one Morec L1 (for our condo) and one Morec L2 (16amp - winter home), and they've both worked fine for over two years; I use them as dedicated charging stations and I keep my TMC in the trunk as all times.

Reactions: ashegam
For charging a Tesla vehicle (as opposed to an EV with a J1772 inlet), the Tesla Mobile Connector appears to be the best choice, since it is relatively inexpensive, and plug adapters for various outlets are available which automatically set an appropriate amperage.

Many of the comparably or lower priced J1772 portable EVSEs have fixed amperages. Many of the lower priced J1772 portable EVSEs are fixed at lower amperages like 16A.

Reactions: ashegam