Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any early Roadsters with the original battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully your soon-to-be retired original pack will be put right back into service helping others simply looking to get their Roadster back on the road. Whomever they are should thank you generously for the great care you put into maintaining it.
I'm going to guess that they will use all the individual sheets to repair original battery packs. Then they will take the case and use it to build another 3.01 pack. Just a guess.

Reactions: Roadster
2008 VIN 374
I'll have to check the odo but I'm probably just shy of 70k miles.
Fully charged in range mode, I get right around 160 miles if I drive like a pansy (lines up almost 100% with my "ideal range"). So about 1/3 degraded from new if I'm not mistaken?
I bought it in 2021 from a friend, I'm probably the fourth owner (at least), but I've been driving this thing almost every day!

Reactions: eHorses
2008 VIN 374
I'll have to check the odo but I'm probably just shy of 70k miles.
Fully charged in range mode, I get right around 160 miles if I drive like a pansy (lines up almost 100% with my "ideal range"). So about 1/3 degraded from new if I'm not mistaken?
I bought it in 2021 from a friend, I'm probably the fourth owner (at least), but I've been driving this thing almost every day!

Thank you for the report on an original Roadster pack. I'm glad to hear it's being enjoyed as a daily driver.

While I agree that getting mile-for-mile on ideal range requires a deliberate effort to drive efficiently in favorable conditions, I don't think using a homophobic slur is a good way to convey that idea.

In case you haven't seen it, this ancient Tesla blog on Roadster Range and Efficiency has great insight. Over the years, the awesome chart on range vs. speed has been lost. I've added it to this post.

range_vs_speed.png

Thank you for the report on an original Roadster pack. I'm glad to hear it's being enjoyed as a daily driver.

While I agree that getting mile-for-mile on ideal range requires a deliberate effort to drive efficiently in favorable conditions, I don't think using a homophobic slur is a good way to convey that idea.

In case you haven't seen it, this ancient Tesla blog on Roadster Range and Efficiency has great insight. Over the years, the awesome chart on range vs. speed has been lost. I've added it to this post.

View attachment 945614
Very helpful graph and great read, thank you!

Side note, I have never heard of that word referred to as a homophobic slur! In grade school that's what we could only say that instead of an alternate, "more offensive" word. Here I was trying to be less offensive and I guess I did the opposite. I've literally always pictured the darn flower. Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: tomsax
Today marked a big day in the life of my Roadster. I drove it almost 200 miles (on one charge) to the service center to have its original battery replaced. Most of the drive was interstate highway at 67mph. Despite that I beat the rated range by almost 10 miles. To answer the question in this thread: my original battery is still going strong after more than 10 years. At nearly 70,000 miles a std mode charge nets about 162 mi and range gets to 210. When it was new it got 245 miles in range mode.

Making the drive today, the last one on this battery, felt nostalgic in many ways. It's been an amazing, awesome ride for the last 10+ years. The car is not just ridiculously fun to drive, it's also a revolutionary piece of history. I stopped next to a supercharger on the drive to stretch my legs. A couple of new Tesla owners came over for a chat. It was hard to explain to them what it was like stopping at that same rest area 10 years ago when the thought of driving a car 200 miles on one charge was unheard of. Not being in California, nobody knew who Tesla was. It had to be even more fun for those of you who started 2-3 years before me! I have some of the best memories from the last 11 years.

When I got to the service center I mentioned to the tech that I think the Roadster is still the best car Tesla ever made. He thought about it for a minute before re-focusing on the ever-growing line of cars he had to take care of today. He'll eventually see thousands of cars through that service center. All of them made possible by the mighty Roadster that I had such a thrill driving today. He was young. I wonder if he thought about how much that car shaped the direction of his own life.

With our cars becoming collectors items I often ponder what the future will be like with my Roadster. I guess I'll start the next chapter in a week or two when I drive it home. Hopefully more great memories will be made in the years ahead...
What was the official life of the battery in years & months when you had it swapped? If I read the post correctly, it seems you voluntarily swapped a working pack for a newer one. Any reasons for this and the cost?

What was the official life of the battery in years & months when you had it swapped? If I read the post correctly, it seems you voluntarily swapped a working pack for a newer one. Any reasons for this and the cost?
The life of the original battery was 10 years and 9 months if you count the day my Roadster was manufactured as the beginning of the battery's life. If you read the whole thread you will find the answers to your questions. The reason I replaced the pack was because I had already paid for the battery replacement program when I purchased the car new 10 years earlier. I had to exercise the contract before it expired at the 10-year mark.

Reactions: Mayer and tesluv108