Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hope for a Model X refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hola from Norway!

Any reply to this post would probably be pure speculation... but I´m hopeful some of you have thoughts on this matter.

I currently have a 2017 Tesla Model X 75D. Its soon time to switch it with a new car as end of warranty etc is approaching. A new Model Y would be to small for our family. I would argue that the Model X & S needs a minor exterior update, but a major interior update.

Any possibilities of "my dream coming true" (a refreshed Model X)?

Thanks

Leif Arne

Will there be a refresh?

Yes - eventually...

When?

That's the more difficult question...

Based on the lower volume sales of S & X, my guess is that Tesla could refresh S & X before Plaid comes out. This would allow them to make a redesign pass on both models, incorporate the changes for Plaid, increase the shared components between S & X and streamline manufacturing by moving S & X onto a single assembly line - which would make more capacity in Fremont available for higher volume models.

If they do this, the primary impact of the refresh would be an improvement in Tesla's manufacturing capacity in Fremont, plus a likely reduction in cost of making S & X. The redesign would be a secondary benefit - that is harder to justify based solely on S & X sales (a shrinking % of Tesla's overall revenue).

Based on the lower volume sales of S & X, my guess is that Tesla could refresh S & X before Plaid comes out.

They should bring out all possible changes as soon as possible, before the Plaid model, to ensure that all kinks have been ironed out before the Plaid model. Otherwise they might get a bad rap if all the bugs come out together with the Plaid model.

If you want a car without any new kinks and bugs (for a while), now you probably still have time to order.

More on the topic here.