Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S P100D L to Model X Plaid: Your experience with new Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it may be time to say goodbye to "Elise" my beloved 2016 Model S P100DL. With the incentives of being able to transfer UNSC and FSD, I am considering a Plaid Model X. I have a Cyberbeast (configured 01/02/2024) on order with expected delivery 2nd half of this year. The more "reviews" I see, the more compromises I see (no AP, no diff lockers, no climate control in vault, no vault passthrough, less range, more exterior maintenance than expected, etc.) I am considering the Model X Plaid instead. I think it better fits my needs. I like luxury and the Cyberbeast interior is very minimalist and utilitarian. I have loved my Model S with very few problems over my 7+ years of ownership. The times that it has been in service, I have been given a Model X as a loaner before. I enjoy the higher ride, the extra shoulder room, and of course the motorized doors (and Falcon wing of course). I am disappointed to see halfshaft/camber/and toe issues still persist with the Model X. The Falcon doors are a hit or miss in quality. I just wonder if these issues are not as prevalent as they seem. Especially for late 2023/2024 builds. I would get the n2itive SX-P2 kit to fix camber issues/tire wear. I just hate to install on a new car under warranty and know that Tesla SC will give me a difficult time if ANY suspension work has to be done (regardless that the SX-P2 is a vast improvement of the Tesla camber arms). What has been your experiences with new Model X? I am currently looking at a 2024 Ultra Red Plaid with White interior available for immediate delivery.

I didn't have a 2016 but recently drove a 2019 or 2020 LR loaner. The MXP is vastly superior aside from the obvious power delivery - suspension feel, road noise, cabin quality, charging speed, range. But Tesla service and build quality is not good in my neck of the woods (and factory quality in general). My car has been in service 4 times for what should have been at most 2 visits for various quality of delivery issues. Today I had yet another mobile service for a tear in the "brightwork seal". Despite clear pictures and description, the guy showed up with a replacement seal behind the door, not the one pinched between the glass and the upper "brightwork" trim. Forced them to call their parts center to see if they can come back today, the part (seal) is supposedly in stock, but at 6:30pm they still have not shown up despite promising so.

If you had an issue-free model X and now you get unlucky with the car you get, even the best driving experience won't offset the bad taste of service experience. I can no longer recommend Tesla as a brand in general because of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffNerd
After selling my P85DL, I went with the MXP for the same reasons you mention. Of all the issues I had with it, the half shaft vibration issue wasn't one of them and seems to be pretty rare on the MXP. I had loads of FWD problems and a drivetrain issue where it pulled left when accelerating. They did multiple alignments to try and fix it but eventually gave up and claimed it was normal.

I have an MSP on order now and will not miss the X.

No pulling issues, I have the cold vibration but as it's temporary I choose to ignore it. If my car develops the other vibration then I am forcing a buyback with a lawyer if needed, can't believe this crap is still ongoing. The car is awesome when not having to deal with service, but far from perfect. My FWD doors don't open fully when I am in front of them need to step aside. Thinking of ordering the fob. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but hasn't been a huge annoyance yet.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
No pulling issues, I have the cold vibration but as it's temporary I choose to ignore it. If my car develops the other vibration then I am forcing a buyback with a lawyer if needed, can't believe this crap is still ongoing. The car is awesome when not having to deal with service, but far from perfect. My FWD doors don't open fully when I am in front of them need to step aside. Thinking of ordering the fob. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but hasn't been a huge annoyance yet.

I had the cold vibration thing every morning and it always lasted exactly the same amount of time to the second and then stopped so I always assumed it was the ABS calibration routine running.

Same. Never timed it but it's like clockwork on a cold drive.

I just witnessed mobile service replacing the rubber seal below the brightwork trim as it had a tear. The one pinched by the frameless driver door glass. What a nightmare. Took 2 guys 30 min to remove and then seat the new seal back.

Just upgraded from a 2016 X 75D to a 2024 X LR. Big difference in terms of quality - everything just feels more solid and substantial, and of course the tech has improved a lot. The FWD on my 2016 were always finicky and hesitant; the 2024 FWDs open more quickly and confidently. The only defect I've noticed is a quiet groan/squeak when turning the steering wheel at low speed.

What I miss most about the 2016 is the option to roll to a stop. I'm also still getting used to the horizontal screen because the map is so small when I leave the rear camera on - but the new button on the steering wheel to turn the camera on and of helps a lot.

Just upgraded from a 2016 X 75D to a 2024 X LR. Big difference in terms of quality - everything just feels more solid and substantial, and of course the tech has improved a lot. The FWD on my 2016 were always finicky and hesitant; the 2024 FWDs open more quickly and confidently. The only defect I've noticed is a quiet groan/squeak when turning the steering wheel at low speed.

What I miss most about the 2016 is the option to roll to a stop. I'm also still getting used to the horizontal screen because the map is so small when I leave the rear camera on - but the new button on the steering wheel to turn the camera on and of helps a lot.
Congrats! When you say "roll to a stop" I think this is how I drive. I mostly use regen and just barely have to engage my actual brakes. It's one of my favorite things about my car and it makes the brakes last a very long time.

Reactions: MikeC
“Roll to a stop” likely refers to crawl mode which is not present in latest Tesla models. It means car keeps rolling when you have your foot off the gas pedal in low speeds similar to gas engine auto transmissions. Since I never tried crawl mode I don’t miss it and if you like one pedal driving you won’t either.

“Roll to a stop” likely refers to crawl mode which is not present in latest Tesla models. It means car keeps rolling when you have your foot off the gas pedal in low speeds similar to gas engine auto transmissions. Since I never tried crawl mode I don’t miss it and if you like one pedal driving you won’t either.

How can "roll to a stop" be the same thing as "car keeps rolling"? They sound the exact opposite to me.

Reactions: MikeC
Yeah but it also makes no sense that he can’t do that in the new X. The only thing that makes sense is the now obsolete crawl mode, i.e. keep rolling until you stop by pressing the brake (is how I interpreted “roll to a stop”). But maybe he can explain better, too much speculation on my part.

The MXP is my daily commute car. Despite a few service visits and some delivery quality issues that got mostly fixed, it’s an absolutely amazing vehicle and it’s unlikely to disappoint any older X owner. You just want to avoid the Tesla service so it’s better to reject a delivery than count on them fixing stuff after.

Yeah but it also makes no sense that he can’t do that in the new X. The only thing that makes sense is the now obsolete crawl mode, i.e. keep rolling until you stop by pressing the brake (is how I interpreted “roll to a stop”). But maybe he can explain better, too much speculation on my part.
The 3 modes on the old X were creep, roll, and hold. The new X only has hold.

Creep is like an automatic car that moves slowly forward if your foot is off the brake. Roll is like a manual car that will roll back or forward on a hill with gravity if your foot is off the brake. Hold means the car doesn't go anywhere if your foot is off the brake.

I think hold makes the most sense for most people, but after driving a Tesla for the last 11 years I'd become accustomed to the roll. But 2 weeks in and I am starting to get used to hold now.

I have a 2016 X 90D considering an update to the new 2024 as I can transfer the unlimited supercharging and FSD. However, I am currently doing an overnight test drive and cannot stand the constant nagging by the internal camera. I got disengaged by just looking at the screen for a few seconds to look at the map! That may be enough to just hold to my 2016 for the moment -- at least for me.

I have a 2016 X 90D considering an update to the new 2024 as I can transfer the unlimited supercharging and FSD. However, I am currently doing an overnight test drive and cannot stand the constant nagging by the internal camera. I got disengaged by just looking at the screen for a few seconds to look at the map! That may be enough to just hold to my 2016 for the moment -- at least for me.
Sunglasses during the day solves that problem but not at night.

Reactions: msm859
Sunglasses during the day solves that problem but not at night.
Thanks! I also saw a guy who taped a pic of the interior in front of the camera. Another person said something about extending the visor.

How about the nagging with the steering wheel?

I'm thinking that I may just stick to my 2016 X with unlimited supercharging and FSD with no internal camera.

Reactions: leletyM3