Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with 22" Rims with experience ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone. I am new to the forums and have had my P85D for about 2 and a half years now.

Background:
I current have the stock 21" wheels and tires from Tesla and I kinda want to get some rims that are flush with the body, and don't want to deal with spacers on the stock rims. Also there is no all season tires for the stock 21's and I rather get some rim's I really like that can be rocked year round with mild snow.

Question:
I plan on getting the following exactly like the Tesla is this link:
17' Tesla S Vossen VF2 - Tesla - Gallery

Unplugged Performance Suspension Lowering Kit
22" Vossen VFS2
22x9 Front
22x10.5 Rear

The site I am looking to get my rim's from have the following tire size for the rims, but I am not sure if they are the correct size for the car and rim. (I want the tires to be all season due to light snow driving)

Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 All Season
245/30/22 Front | 295/25/22 Rear

Would this be a good set up or do you guys recommend different tires? Thanks for any feedback on this!

-Cam

20190928_154641.jpg
20190928_154641.jpg

Attachments

• 20190928_123938.jpg
    20190928_123938.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Love
Reactions: tyler2323
Hi Everyone. I am new to the forums and have had my P85D for about 2 and a half years now.

Background:
I current have the stock 21" wheels and tires from Tesla and I kinda want to get some rims that are flush with the body, and don't want to deal with spacers on the stock rims. Also there is no all season tires for the stock 21's and I rather get some rim's I really like that can be rocked year round with mild snow.

Question:

22" Vossen VFS2
22x9 Front
22x10.5 Rear

The site I am looking to get my rim's from have the following tire size for the rims, but I am not sure if they are the correct size for the car and rim. (I want the tires to be all season due to light snow driving)

Would this be a good set up or do you guys recommend different tires? Thanks for any feedback on this!

-Cam

I think that setup is one pothole away from misery. If you only drive on perfect roads, that might work for you. If you ever hit a pothole, go over uneven railroad tracks, or hit a rock in the road, you’ll have very little tire to protect that rim. A broken rim will delay where you are going and it’ll be inconvenient to fix. I’d keep at least one of wheels and tires you take off the car.

It seems unlikely to me that you’ll find snow tires to fit that rim. You’re in Denver right? Do you have potholes in Denver? I know you do get some snow. I’d be looking for 19” rims and then consider some Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires for the winter.

Good luck with this. I’d like to see pictures of your final setup. If you break a rim, don’t tell me. I’ll be sad.

21" already seems plenty big for the Tesla and the 22" just make the car look tacky which is hard for such a large vehicle. I wouldn't consider 22" wheels here in Denver after bending even my stock 21" wheels. I'm looking at aftermarket wheels but looking to downsize for larger sidewall to avoid damage and possibly nicer ride quality/performance. I run spacers with my wheels and not sure what there is to 'deal with' when using them. To each their own though.

• Disagree
Reactions: tyler2323
21" already seems plenty big for the Tesla and the 22" just make the car look tacky which is hard for such a large vehicle. I wouldn't consider 22" wheels here in Denver after bending even my stock 21" wheels. I'm looking at aftermarket wheels but looking to downsize for larger sidewall to avoid damage and possibly nicer ride quality/performance. I run spacers with my wheels and not sure what there is to 'deal with' when using them. To each their own though.
I completely disagree. 22s look just fine on the model S, they dont look excessively large. Here is a pic of my car, no issues what so ever.
20190707_181352.jpg

I've already ordered them so it's to late now haha. I personally like 22's on Tesla's. I feel it really fits the car for how big it is. I will post some pictures of them once they are installed.

@Sexyp85 Did you lower you car as well with links or are you still on the stock air setup?

I had custom 21's on my last Model S. Lots of potholes in L.A. Replaced more than 5 wheels in three years of ownership, just from potholes or road imperfections. Just got the Raven a couple of months ago. Went with 20" wheels this time around. I went black this time, so the 20" wheel looks good. My last car had the silver alloy look, which I loved and agree needs to be 21" or more as too much tire isn't as sporty looking. But, 22" wheels on a 5,000 lb car, yes, you're going to be replacing wheels with no doubt. Just not enough tire there to absorb the impact and weight of the car. Unless of course you live in a rare area with nearly perfect roads?

They look great, but can be annoying. especially when the tires start losing air from the wheel being bent, which I had to deal with several times. Not fun.
LFZ.jpg
LRside.jpg
View attachment 465850

Prior Car with 21's

IMG_20160102_134823414.jpg
IMG_20160102_134902756.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to add I will be lowering my car with Unplugged lowering brackets for the air suspension. Will I have rubbing issues with this set up? Please someone help :(

22" Vossen VFS2
22x9 Front +30
22x10.5 Rear +38

245/30/22 Front | 295/25/22 Rear Tires

Thank you!!

I personally love the look of 22s on Model S - I think they are the perfect size aesthetically. But, I've also been a victim of going over a vicious pothole on the stock 21s that caused a big tire bulge and a forced replacement. I'll stick with 21s, since Canada is not a smooth place to drive.

IMG_9443.png

Background:

Question:

22" Vossen VFS2
22x9 Front
22x10.5 Rear

-Cam
I'm running 21' rims fronts 10' 255 30 21 rears 11' 295 30 21

What's going to decide if they will fit is if you buy some that have a large lip and offset. No one thought you fit 10 inch wide rims on the front and I did and have no issues at all rubbing and lowered it as well with both brackets and links to get it even lower. Use 255 instead of 245. So 255 30 22
IMG_E1997.JPG
IMG_E2127.JPG
Screenshot 2019-12-02 at 2.50.49 AM.png
EXCP4586.JPG
XLEL8169.JPG
IMG_E2126.JPG

Last edited:
What will decide if your rims bend are quality more than anything. Being in LA is dangerous but the difference between quality rims like Vossens will handle it even with a 5000 lb car.
Also set your psi to 50. You will be fine not bending your rims I promise

Last edited: