Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y Lr 2023 in the snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I live in California and have never experienced driving in the snow before. I just purchased a new model y LR 2023, and plan to take it to lake tahoe this winter. However, due to the snowy conditions, there is the range anxiety that I have with the tesla and also how the car performs in the snow. I have the new stock all season tires, but do i really need to get winter tires?? Also, when it comes to chains, I heard those tend to damage the tires and rim…. I sure dont want to damage my brand new rims. I dont want to spend $300 on chains since I know i wont use them often. Has anyone experienced the drive to tahoe in their teslas and know of any chains that dont damage the rims you could recommend? Thoughts on snow socks?

You should be fine. In cold weather (below 40 Fahrenheit) your battery will deliver less miles per charge. Expect a 30% loss and you’ll be fine.

If there is a big storm, chains are sometimes required depending on where you drive. Pay attention to local weather forecasts and sometimes highway signs.

You should switch the car to “chill” and set ”regen” to low in all your driving profiles while there is snow.

There is lots of advice on Cold Weather on the forum. You can look at those, but mostly, you just be fine.

Happy Holidays and enjoy you Tesla.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I live in California and have never experienced driving in the snow before. I just purchased a new model y LR 2023, and plan to take it to lake tahoe this winter. However, due to the snowy conditions, there is the range anxiety that I have with the tesla and also how the car performs in the snow. I have the new stock all season tires, but do i really need to get winter tires?? Also, when it comes to chains, I heard those tend to damage the tires and rim…. I sure dont want to damage my brand new rims. I dont want to spend $300 on chains since I know i wont use them often. Has anyone experienced the drive to tahoe in their teslas and know of any chains that dont damage the rims you could recommend? Thoughts on snow socks?

Hitting another car, another car hitting you, or crashing into a snowbank are all going to cost you more than $300. If you plan on driving to Tahoe in the snow without any experience, at least set yourself up for success.

Upvote 0
Mountain weather like Tahoe or any mountainous area is not something to take lightly.
I'm glad you are attempting to tackle this ahead of time before you head up there. You should be fine, but winter tires will definitely be a benefit up on the mountain if and when the weather changes on you.
Others have already stated that the 40degree mark is when those winter tires really start to shine and do what they are designed to do.

Reactions: ngng
Upvote 0
Please do not be one of the idiots that goes up in the mountains without chains or socks, gets stuck, and plugs up traffic plus causes accidents due to your fear of putting on chains. I have seen multiple mountain accidents caused by drivers without chains/socks over the years where there is no excuse for their lack of preparedness.

If you can't prepare to drive safely through the mountains, stay off the road for your sake and everybody else. If you really fear chains, buy socks since they are easy to install and will get you out of a low traction situation: just drive slow once the socks are on.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I totally get the range anxiety and concerns about the snowy conditions, especially for your shiny new Model Y. Here are some insights:

Winter Tires: While all-season tires can handle light snow, winter tires are specially designed for icy and snowy conditions. They offer better traction and handling. I'd recommend considering a set of winter tires for that Tahoe trip to ensure a safer and more comfortable ride.

Snow Chains: I hear you on not wanting to spend a fortune on chains you might not use often. Tesery has some excellent options in their Tesla Snow Chains. These chains are designed with your Tesla in mind, minimizing the risk of damage to tires and rims. They provide the grip you need without sacrificing your rims to the snow gods.

Snow Socks:Snow socks are a lighter alternative to chains, and they're easier on your rims. They slip over your tires like a sock and offer decent traction. However, they're not as durable as chains, so they're best for occasional use.

Remember, safety first! Investing in proper winter gear for your Tesla ensures a worry-free and enjoyable winter driving experience.

• Informative
Reactions: ionsphere
Upvote 0
By law you have to have chains or other approved traction devices that fit your car in your possession when you enter an area subject to chain control in the winter - even if you don’t have to use them. You’re easily spending way more than $300/day on your trip… buy the chains or socks and deal with it. And learn how to use them BEFORE you’re in the snow.

That said, Tahoe is absolutely chock-full of Bay Area knobs in Teslas that have no idea what they’re doing, so you’ve got ~even odds of the person you crash into being in the same situation. 👍🏻

Upvote 0
In Western New York, we're not allowed to use chains, nor have I ever seen chains on a car. Plenty of people here also drive in the snow on all season tires. Having newish tires / good treads definitely helps.

One really important tip for winter driving is that if you hit your brakes, you're asking for your car to lose traction. Since with a Tesla the regen brakes kick in when letting off the accelerator, the same is true - abruptly letting off the accelerator will cause loss of traction.

One last thing... if you *do* lose traction, don't try to steer yourself out of it. This might seem counterintuitive, but trying to control a car that's sliding can get you into worse trouble. I watched a women once who was driving way too fast for the winter roads... her car started spinning and out of inexperience she tried to steer/control it. As soon as her tires grabbed traction, the car was thrown incredibly fast/hard into a spin in the opposite direction and slammed into the guardrail. What she should have done was let off the wheel and let the car coast to a stop. Sure she may have still slid into something, but not nearly as hard/aggressive/unpredictably as it did by her turning the wheels.

Upvote 0
In Western New York, we're not allowed to use chains, nor have I ever seen chains on a car. Plenty of people here also drive in the snow on all season tires. Having newish tires / good treads definitely helps.
Definitely a whole different world in the northeast and other places where the whole region regularly deals with freezing temperatures and snow.

California is a different story. The Sierra Nevadas rise into the sky rather abruptly from more or less sea level. Lower elevation California is of course generally very temperate year round. To get to Lake Tahoe you have to summit a mountain pass of at least 7,000 feet often with very heavy snow, and the great majority of people performing this feat on winter weekends live in areas that experience no snow, ice, or freezing temperatures at all, so temporary traction devices like chains are usually the name of the game. Many of these people have little to no experience driving in such conditions which can make for quite the circus over holidays.

4WD-AWD with mud/snow tires are usually an acceptable alternative to chains and get the job done if you know what you’re doing - but the law says you have to have chains with you.

• Informative
Reactions: posity and Yelobird
Upvote 0
I live in California and have never experienced driving in the snow before.
I've never driven to Lake Tahoe before, but I've driven in plenty of snow. Much of my teenage years was spent driving old RWD sedans with questionable tires in snow. So to answer your question, the car will do fine. No insult meant, but the bigger question mark is the driver, not the car. The minute you see snow, you might want to practice in a parking lot or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goobers
Upvote 0
The OEM tires that Tesla put on our 23 MYLR are not _at_all_ snow / mountain capable. I think they have the M+S rating (not 3PSSR) stamped on them, and if they do it's the biggest lie I've heard in years. The traction control algorithms on the Y are pretty awesome, but cannot overcome how little grip these tires have in the cold, snow, hard ice, etc.

If they're still the ones on your car and there's even one snowflake fallen in the last 3 days, save yourself and everyone else on your road a big headache and just don't even try it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0