Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything changed much in the last 6-8 months...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been off this site and looking at Tesla Y news for the past several months as I thought I was not going to accept my MY and go with the Rivian RS1. However, the RS1 delivery is looking like at least a year if not more off so I might grab the MY as my delivery date is this December. Any interesting updates on the MY over the past 6-8 months? Build quality getting any better or same ol'? Also, anyone been selling used MY's and holding pretty strong value or are they getting the standard depreciation hit?

Also, anyone been selling used MY's and holding pretty strong value or are they getting the standard depreciation hit?

You likely have heard about the used car market, but in case you havent, its pretty crazy right now. Used model Ys are selling for more than new ones, in general, due to long lead times. Not sustainable in the slightest, but thats what it is right now, and model 3/Ys have done very well as far as depreciation is concerned, even pre "this bonkers used car market".

No promises for the future of course, but you could likely take delivery and sell it for at least what you paid for it.

Reactions: trlengle
Just received my 2021 MY. Being on these forums is a blessing and a curse. I was half expecting issues (panel gaps, scratches, dings, etc.) when I received due to all the testimonies but mine was in perfect condition. I can't attest for past builds as this is my first Tesla but it seems they've definitely got better. Maybe they've worked out all the kinks since I received the last batch of 2021s?

You likely have heard about the used car market, but in case you havent, its pretty crazy right now. Used model Ys are selling for more than new ones, in general, due to long lead times. Not sustainable in the slightest, but thats what it is right now, and model 3/Ys have done very well as far as depreciation is concerned, even pre "this bonkers used car market".

No promises for the future of course, but you could likely take delivery and sell it for at least what you paid for it.
Interesting. I wonder if I could buy and instantly flip it and come out on top…might be someone willing to pay a premium to not wait 11 months.

Perhaps wait and see what the potential EV credit is if its passed and whether its backdated to 2021 or starts in 2022. Then hopefully take the credit (assuming you meet the legal requirements) and then sell it :)
With my delivery expected in Mid December it seems as though I should try to push to 2022 if I can, just in case there is a credit. It would be annoying to miss a decent credit by a couple weeks.