Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

apologies if this has been asked/answered already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect it has - but I did a quick search and didn't find it.

I own a 2016 Model X 90D, with the 72 amp onboard charger. And I set up a HPWC on a 100 amp dedicated circuit - it works great.

We are likely getting a 2nd EV - a HyundaidKona - for my wife. I know, the Model 3 is the same price - but with Hyundai still being eligible for the full 7500 credit, they are offering some killer lease rates! Living in CA, I can still get the 2000 rebate, I believe, even on a lease. And my utility co offers another 599 - so 2600 of the 4000 down is covered!

My question is, what is the best source to get a Tesla to J1772 adapter? I don't really want to put in a second charging unit. I googled, it, and the best I came up with was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V7V2QT8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3L9663CMWRIQ2&psc=1 But a couple of the reviews concern me. And, do I need to worry that the HPWC on a 100 amp circuit will deliver too much power?

Any input is appreciated. If there is a thread discussing this at length already that I didn't find, feel free to direct me to it :)

Dan

I know - I have one of those to charge my Tesla at other chargers. I am looking for a Tesla - J1772 - to use my home HPWC with a non-Tesla vehicle.
For $200 you might as well do it right and install a $500 J1172 instead and use the official adapter only (for your car).

Using 3rd party adapters or cheaper options with high amounts of energy is something I'd personally not recommend.

I would not be too concerned about the HWPC delivering too much power. Remember the charger is in the car, deigned for the battery that is in the car. The wall unit is at best a smart connection/interface device, that in the case of US residential takes in 240 volts AC, and passes out 240 volts AC. I have no experience with the adapters but make sense in theory.

Thx for the input. I’ll probably get the JDaptor, thx .

The issue with putting in another charge unit isn’t the 500 - it’s the labor and wiring and moving things around to make it fit.

We ended up with a Leaf at the last minute instead on the Kona - the Nissan dealer honored the factory special, the Hyundai dealer used the fine print of ‘dealer concession is at their discretion’ to move the pmt up 100/month.

Nice car so far!

Reactions: trace