Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

applied a bit too much ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. My first time applying ceramic coating on my car and it was a little too much. It now has that slight rainbow reflection off the paint. Can you recommend how to fix this? Thanks
Sounds you might have some high spots that were not wiped off completely. If the coating has cured for more than 12 hours, then most likely you will need to use a machine polisher to polish off the coating and reapply it.

Here is a helpful article from IGL coatings about how to avoid rainbow-like high spots and what to do if they occur:

Reactions: Nikon201068
Upvote 0
Sounds you might have some high spots that were not wiped off completely. If the coating has cured for more than 12 hours, then most likely you will need to use a machine polisher to polish off the coating and reapply it.

Here is a helpful article from IGL coatings about how to avoid rainbow-like high spots and what to do if they occur:

Thank you. I'll look into it

Upvote 0
If it is not cured, apply some new coating on it to wet the surface and wipe. If it is cured, you need to use dual action polisher to buff it off with polishing compound. You need one for paint correction anyway. Always inspect your car surface under the sun light after you are done. Or go over it with a detailing flash light.

Reactions: Nikon201068
Upvote 0
If it is not cured, apply some new coating on it to wet the surface and wipe. If it is cured, you need to use dual action polisher to buff it off with polishing compound. You need one for paint correction anyway. Always inspect your car surface under the sun light after you are done. Or go over it with a detailing flash light.
It's cured since it's been several days already. What did you mean by " use dual action polisher" ? Also what polishing compound do you recommend? Thank you

Upvote 0

I was able to buff it out with machine polisher and polishing compound. Thank you guys

Reactions: byeLT4
Upvote 0