Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Ceramic-Infused Sealants and Detailing Products Safe to Use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately I have been using several ceramic-infused spray sealants and detailing sprays on my P3D, including Opti Coat's Hyper Seal, The Last Coat 2.0, and Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray. I love how easy it is to apply these products as well as the gloss, shine, and slickness that they produce.

That said, I do have a question/concern. Does anyone have any info on whether or not it is safe to use these products? I am not concerned about these products getting on my skin. I use rubber gloves to protect my hands and wash them thoroughly after every application. I am mainly concerned about breathing in these spray products. Of course, I avoid spraying the products anywhere near my face. But if I am able to smell the product, does that mean that a tiny bit of the product is going into my lungs? They say that you should wash microfiber towels after applying a ceramic spray sealant so that the ceramic particles do not harden in the towel. Is it possible that some of these ceramic particles are breathed in and then could they harden in your lungs?

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but I want to make sure it is safe to enjoy these ceramic-infused products.

Thank you,
joebruin77

i'm guessing that unless you're in a factory where they're manufacturing these products at large quantities/batches, you're going to be safe with normal use. additionally you have lots of mucus/fluid in your body and lungs that *should* dispel anything toxic in your body/lungs.

Joe, I don't mean to de-legitimatize your concern but why not just wear a face mask while applying it?

That's a valid question. I could wear a face mask, but I personally prefer not to even work with chemicals that are that toxic. If there is any kind of issue, I would rather just work with non-ceramic materials.

I realize this might be more of a question for a professional, and I know from past forum posts that many professional detailers do often respond to these types of posts. I welcome any thoughts or comments from professionals who have experience with and knowledge about ceramic-infused sprays and detailing products.

Thank you.

In 30 years, I am pretty sure people will look back and think how nuts it was all the hazardous chemicals we put into sprays and aerosols for us to breathe. None of these household or car cleaning chemicals are good to breathe. None. The smart ones will be the ones that wore a respirator.

You can get a SDS (Safety Data Sheet) from the manufacturer that may have information relevant to your question. Often they are available via direct website links. Sometimes you have to request it. But they have to have one if it's sold in the US.

Edit: In fact Opti-Coat's are just one click off of the homepage, for instance.

Reactions: joebruin77