Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are very small EVs the future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like virtualization, music and video streaming, airbnb (in place of holiday cabins/timeshare), transport is moving away from ownership towards pay per use taxi or short time rentals. In that market typically durability, quality, and safety and economies of scale are key factors. I doubt these death traps take significant market share.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Like virtualization, music and video streaming, airbnb (in place of holiday cabins/timeshare), transport is moving away from ownership towards pay per use taxi or short time rentals. In that market typically durability, quality, and safety and economies of scale are key factors. I doubt these death traps take significant market share.
Definitely a nice market but attractive for city people who can rent a larger car for trips to the country.

transport is moving away from ownership towards pay per use taxi or short time rentals
Perhaps in dense urban settings where you don't use a car much. Not so out of those areas.

I grew up in a place where many (even a majority of?) households owned small EVs as second or third vehicles for driving around within a couple miles of home. It worked because there was a dedicated network of "roads" for them (which incidentally were also great for bikes) which kept them off the main roads outside of neighborhoods.

5dQViULfV4IOTJ-MSqiTPfTbE9ZxR6TxVAp8SEYECY7TYCyChvtanN-dLZOemrjpJAXSweA3TxsLgq1WrDPiKneJoV57Sk4gWSQK1rySS_I-bRY5QuIVxGx_dJrC6SGKkGpkuLMqFf0We1KIqjCCAHhKMcFEk3N6h_MvU3W4l_EWXrm69FLQ33QK_qbXHeHv-Zuy7zO360Taa94lzGkB0B32k_lr43xQ

Sadly few places have wanted to follow that model and it's very difficult to retrofit if you didn't plan your town around the idea.

Reactions: mspohr