Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are very small EVs the future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gay Pride parade was yesterday. Everyone in high spirits. Almost like it's not Florida
There's a "car free Key West" movement here. They have made some progress on bike lanes and lots of golf carts, etc. Only time I've ever been picked up at the airport in a golf cart.
Interesting that this was once the largest and richest city in the US. I think because of the military in 19th century.

While I, personally, have nothing against golf carts and mini-cars, I tend to try to downplay them as EVs. They only show how EVs are not viable for many uses and, overall, hurt the adoption of EVs by the general populous.
It definitely is interesting to see places like certain Florida areas, where golf carts truly are viable for most of one's transportation needs.

While I, personally, have nothing against golf carts and mini-cars, I tend to try to downplay them as EVs. They only show how EVs are not viable for many uses and, overall, hurt the adoption of EVs by the general populous.
It definitely is interesting to see places like certain Florida areas, where golf carts truly are viable for most of one's transportation needs.
Tiny EVs, golf carts, etc. certainly have their limitations but they could be a "gateway drug" for people who are tentative about EVs. Once they experience the convenience of charging at home and an always full tank plus low maintenance, they could get hooked.

Tiny EVs, golf carts, etc. certainly have their limitations but they could be a "gateway drug" for people who are tentative about EVs. Once they experience the convenience of charging at home and an always full tank plus low maintenance, they could get hooked.
Unfortunately, your 'could' just doesn't hold up in the real world. It is the opposite of reality. It may impress 2% but 80% will be permanently discouraged and 18% will hesitate before jumping in (yes, I made up these numbers based on my own rough observations).
Seeing their neighbor driving a 300 mile per charge car that they only, ever drive 30 miles at a time (or 60 or even 100 on occasion) but only drive that car and don't think about it is what gets them hooked. That was when we saw EVs rise in acceptance. It wasn't the Leaf that did it. Only the fanatics (like me) bought the Leaf new.
- Hearing their short-range-EV-driving friend frett over whether they'll be able to go to that stamp collector's meeting across town
- Seeing their short-range-EV-driving friends arrive late to their dinner party because they had to make another stop on their errands making them have to sit at a charger for an hour they hadn't counted on
- Seeing EVs only driving driving 50mph in the slow lane, on 65mph roads, where they and everyone else is driving 70, just so they can get the advertised range they were counting on. This does even more damage when they drive in any lane other than the slow lane.
- Watching their short-range-EV-driving friend go through multiple batteries because of the stress their short-range EV put on the battery by being fully charged and discharged twice per day.
etc: is only going to keep them hooked on gasoline.
Buying a short range EV and having to experience the above, themselves will cause (and has caused) many to do one last drive - back to the dealer to turn it in.
PHEVs may have the gateway ability you describe, however, those with only 20 to 50 miles of EV range (like pretty much all of them) don't really do it either.
Environmentalists are often the worst thing for the environment.

Unfortunately, your 'could' just doesn't hold up in the real world. It is the opposite of reality. It may impress 2% but 80% will be permanently discouraged and 18% will hesitate before jumping in (yes, I made up these numbers based on my own rough observations).
Seeing their neighbor driving a 300 mile per charge car that they only, ever drive 30 miles at a time (or 60 or even 100 on occasion) but only drive that car and don't think about it is what gets them hooked. That was when we saw EVs rise in acceptance. It wasn't the Leaf that did it. Only the fanatics (like me) bought the Leaf new.
- Hearing their short-range-EV-driving friend frett over whether they'll be able to go to that stamp collector's meeting across town
- Seeing their short-range-EV-driving friends arrive late to their dinner party because they had to make another stop on their errands making them have to sit at a charger for an hour they hadn't counted on
- Seeing EVs only driving driving 50mph in the slow lane, on 65mph roads, where they and everyone else is driving 70, just so they can get the advertised range they were counting on. This does even more damage when they drive in any lane other than the slow lane.
- Watching their short-range-EV-driving friend go through multiple batteries because of the stress their short-range EV put on the battery by being fully charged and discharged twice per day.
etc: is only going to keep them hooked on gasoline.
Buying a short range EV and having to experience the above, themselves will cause (and has caused) many to do one last drive - back to the dealer to turn it in.
PHEVs may have the gateway ability you describe, however, those with only 20 to 50 miles of EV range (like pretty much all of them) don't really do it either.
Environmentalists are often the worst thing for the environment.
Good points.
Here are a few guys who are not afraid of small EVs.

Honda's N-Van, a kei car, is a stark contrast to the massive Odyssey, offering size efficiency and affordability at $15,400. Despite its small 29.6 kWh battery, the N-Van can travel 152 miles and charge quickly, making it suitable for daily tasks. With its versatile design, the N-Van can be used for work or play, featuring unique storage solutions and room for up to four people

I live in a golf cart community. Lots of residents use their carts for travel inside. Of course we use them to play golf, but also to visit friends, shop at the local shopping center, go out to dinner, down to the pickle ball, basketball or tennis courts. We haul our paddleboards or kayaks down to the beach, watch the Sunset, go to parks, club gatherings, for evening concerts at the lodge or live music at the Country Club. Work at home or retired people can often go a week or more without firing up our big cars.

Second alternative is eBikes. All the roads, except freeways have bike paths, and you can easily go 10 miles or so for shopping, out to eat, or take in a movie. Even more efficient than a gas or electric golf cart, and makes for a fun trip. There are also community bike paths alongside the creek for those just wanting to get a little exercise, fresh air and Sunshine.

Vipers and other sports cars are reserved for special events, and of course you still need a full sized vehicle (gas or electric) to take long trips with luggage or passengers.

Point is that there is not just one solution, but using the right vehicle for the right journey. Sometimes a big Harley is perfect for a country ride, other times a Sports car on a winding road is bliss. Gotta have a pickup if you need to carry building materials or a SUV for big shopping trips. Currently often makes sense to buy the vehicle that will be capable most of the time, and rent a special vehicle for the edge cases. If gas goes to $10/gallon, all the priorities will quickly shift.

eBikes and Golf Cars are popular due to economics of ownership. Cheap to buy, insure and register. Used ones have very little depreciation and maintenance is almost nothing.

If you live in the countryside, perhaps a right sized pickup or SUV is the best answer, but for city dwellers, having a small and easy to park tiny vehicle can earn it's keep.