Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we to pay twice for FSD in consecutively leased cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently leasing a Model X. Purchased EAP and FSD last year before the price went up and to secure a free computer upgrade. Not sure if I will purchase the car or return the car at the end of the lease. If I return the car and lease a new one, will I have to pay a second time for FSD? Seems that one should not have to pay for FSD multiple times for consecutively leased cars.

Currently leasing a Model X. Purchased EAP and FSD last year before the price went up and to secure a free computer upgrade. Not sure if I will purchase the car or return the car at the end of the lease. If I return the car and lease a new one, will I have to pay a second time for FSD? Seems that one should not have to pay for FSD multiple times for consecutively leased cars.

I believe you will need to buy FSD again. FSD goes with the car, not the owner.

Seems that one should not have to pay for FSD multiple times for consecutively leased cars.

Agreed, it sucks, but you will have to pay again. Note that Tesla changed the packages, so the new FSD has features that used to be EAP. You would get Basic AP included with the car, but would need to buy FSD for Summon, Autopark, AP lane change, etc.

Reactions: doctoxics
yes, no question. For those reading, 'buying' FSD under a lease arrangement is just giving free money to Elon.

Well, if you lease now (post EAP), buying FSD does give you a bunch of features, specifically NOA, Auto Park, Smart Summon, and Auto Lane Change. So if you want those features and are ok that they are not fully autonomous, it might make sense to buy FSD.

Obviously, if are expecting a fully autonomous robotaxi, you are correct that buying FSD on a lease is just free money to Elon.

Reactions: doctoxics
When you lease a FSD car you do not pay the entire cost of the FSD. You only pay the depreciated amount, just like the rest of the car. You get to use the features of that option while you are leasing. The leasing company takes possession of the software after you return the car.

If you buy the car from the leasing company, at the end of the lease, you will then be buying the balance of the FSD.

If leasing company sells the returned car to a licensed dealership, Tesla will often remove the FSD. If it gets resold to a private party, the FSD should transfer.

I believe you will need to buy FSD again. FSD goes with the car, not the owner.

If I turn in the Model X at the end of the lease, Tesla will remove FSD and require the next buyer to pay for a new FSD download. From what I have read online, if I buy at the end of the lease, FSD can be passed on to a new owner. That way I recover the cost of FSD and will end up paying just once when I buy or lease a new Model X. Seems that Tesla should short circuit this process by charging once for FSD in consecutively leased Model Xs.