Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Car Wash knocked Mirror Cap off and possibly ripped the antenna cable apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought a used 2020 Model X Performance a few months ago, I've been taking it to automatic car washes without problems (since it already had scratches, didn't really care). Today, at the car wash that I've used ~10 times, I saw my mirrors get bent towards the front of the car and eventually my driver side mirror cap came off in the car wash. Looked at it after we retrieved the cap, the antenna cable seemed to be ripped apart. However, I'm not sure if this was always like this or a roller from the the car wash actually did that (ripping the antenna cable). I've already put in a tesla mobile service request and waiting for estimate. Filed an incident report with the CarWash chain (ModWash), will see if they send me security cam footage. Has anyone ever seem something like this happen? And no, my car does not have car wash mode, but going forward I'm definitely hitting the auto fold button.
IMG_1441.JPG

So I bought a used 2020 Model X Performance a few months ago, I've been taking it to automatic car washes without problems (since it already had scratches, didn't really care). Today, at the car wash that I've used ~10 times, I saw my mirrors get bent towards the front of the car and eventually my driver side mirror cap came off in the car wash. Looked at it after we retrieved the cap, the antenna cable seemed to be ripped apart. However, I'm not sure if this was always like this or a roller from the the car wash actually did that (ripping the antenna cable). I've already put in a tesla mobile service request and waiting for estimate. Filed an incident report with the CarWash chain (ModWash), will see if they send me security cam footage. Has anyone ever seem something like this happen? And no, my car does not have car wash mode, but going forward I'm definitely hitting the auto fold button.View attachment 928786
I take it this was not a touchless automatic carwash? If it wasn't, I can't say I am surprised. If it was, I'll have to watch out as I use touchless washes all the time!

Upvote 0
Whats the reason for asking for video from the Car wash? I am virtually positive they have some disclaimer that they are not liable for that, and that you are supposed to fold your mirrors, so this is going to be on you to repair.
So an update: I got curious and decided to pop open the other cover, and boy was I surprised, the other side was cut/damaged as well! I've been complaining about LTE to Tesla for a while now and they say it's working fine. One time they replaced a chip. Not sure how they missed it. I requested a mobile service appointment complaining that they missed it and I just got an estimate showing they're covering both mirror assemblies for free under warranty!

Upvote 0