Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot issue on 408 west bound at I-4 exchange in Orlando

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model 3 about a month ago due to no longer being able to work from home. I've noticed on my commute home that autopilot is suddenly reducing my set speed to 35 mph in a 60 mph section of the west bound 408 expressway approximately 1000 ft after the I-4 exit in the heart of Orlando. My vehicle appears to recognize that the speed limit is still 60 mph based on what is displayed on the screen. I mention this because my initial concern was that the vehicle was misinterpreting a sign but that doesn't appear to be the case since the speed limit on my screen still shows 60 mph. Is there anyone else in the Orlando area that has experienced this? Is this something I should make a service appointment for? Is there anything I can do on my own to resolve this?

I took delivery of my Model 3 about a month ago due to no longer being able to work from home. I've noticed on my commute home that autopilot is suddenly reducing my set speed to 35 mph in a 60 mph section of the west bound 408 expressway approximately 1000 ft after the I-4 exit in the heart of Orlando. My vehicle appears to recognize that the speed limit is still 60 mph based on what is displayed on the screen. I mention this because my initial concern was that the vehicle was misinterpreting a sign but that doesn't appear to be the case since the speed limit on my screen still shows 60 mph. Is there anyone else in the Orlando area that has experienced this? Is this something I should make a service appointment for? Is there anything I can do on my own to resolve this?
You will find that some day it will work without rhythm or reason. Autopilot will most of the time follow the speed limit, sometimes it will go the national average. Other times it reduces speed to some random number just because. This will change one day out the blue without any software update. It's a map error issue which sometime get fixed and sometime it becomes broken. I live in central FL and have been using FSD beta for over a year and EAP since I bought the car 80k miles ago. I4 is just a constant battle with speed limit changes and I find 408 more reliable.

Upvote 0
We would take 408 W and exit I-4 south to Disney World a lot, so I don’t know the stretch you’re talking about, but on I-4 N coming back from Disney World right near the luxury car dealerships on the west side of the freeway it would suddenly reduce speed limit and require intervention. I learned to just press the accelerator pedal manually for the few seconds (without disengaging AP/FSDb) it takes to get through that section and then it would return to expected behavior. This sounds maybe a little different from your situation since you’re saying the speed limit in the visualization isn’t changing, but there are some mapping errors that eventually get fixed. You can try reporting the issue on Google Maps and OpenStreetMap.org, as Tesla sometimes gets data from those sources. Keep in mind the correction probably wouldn’t appear until at least the next navigation maps update you download.

Edit: looking at the OpenStreetMaps.org data there, the speed limit should be 65, not 60. Are you maybe setting the max speed as 60? Or are you sure it’s the speed limit you’re seeing in the visualization? In any case, there are some features perhaps underneath the overpass that might be confusing the maps data (a parking lot, a building). You can try creating an account and marking the exact location you’re experiencing the issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You will find that some day it will work without rhythm or reason. Autopilot will most of the time follow the speed limit, sometimes it will go the national average. Other times it reduces speed to some random number just because. This will change one day out the blue without any software update. It's a map error issue which sometime get fixed and sometime it becomes broken. I live in central FL and have been using FSD beta for over a year and EAP since I bought the car 80k miles ago. I4 is just a constant battle with speed limit changes and I find 408 more reliable.
I'm running into this on 408 west bound. If you were to look at the 408/I-4 exchange, the issue occurs approximately where 408 goes over Garland. Because of where I live, sometimes I take I-4 and sometimes I take 408 to the turnpike. All depends on traffic that day. Guess I'll just have to be ready for it. Wish there was a way to report this issue because it could easily cause an accident. Thanks.
1684154681502.png

Upvote 0
We would take 408 W and exit I-4 south to Disney World a lot, so I don’t know the stretch you’re talking about, but on I-4 N coming back from Disney World right near the luxury car dealerships on the west side of the freeway it would suddenly reduce speed limit and require intervention. I learned to just press the accelerator pedal manually for the few seconds (without disengaging AP/FSDb) it takes to get through that section and then it would return to expected behavior. This sounds maybe a little different from your situation since you’re saying the speed limit in the visualization isn’t changing, but there are some mapping errors that eventually get fixed. You can try reporting the issue on Google Maps and OpenStreetMap.org, as Tesla sometimes gets data from those sources. Keep in mind the correction probably wouldn’t appear until at least the next navigation maps update you download.

Edit: looking at the OpenStreetMaps.org data there, the speed limit should be 65, not 60. Are you maybe setting the max speed as 60? Or are you sure it’s the speed limit you’re seeing in the visualization? In any case, there are some features perhaps underneath the overpass that might be confusing the maps data (a parking lot, a building). You can try creating an account and marking the exact location you’re experiencing the issue.
I'm pretty sure the speed at this specific stretch is 60 mph but it could be 65 mph. I'm pretty sure it doesn't change to 65 mph until after clearing the exchange with I-4. I plan on taking that route again tomorrow to gather more info. The first time it happened it just scared the heck out of me. The second time I had forgotten about the first time so it scared me again. The third time I was prepared.

Upvote 0
I'm adding this Google Maps screenshot of the area to better clarify. In the image, the area I circled in red is the area I'm finding the issue. Just to the right and out of frame of the image is the I-4 exit.
1684155443904.png

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure the speed at this specific stretch is 60 mph but it could be 65 mph. I'm pretty sure it doesn't change to 65 mph until after clearing the exchange with I-4. I plan on taking that route again tomorrow to gather more info. The first time it happened it just scared the heck out of me. The second time I had forgotten about the first time so it scared me again. The third time I was prepared.

Interesting. OpenStreetMaps has 65MPH listed as the speed limit (see screenshot below). Also, that parking lot underneath (also in your Google Maps screenshot) is what I’m suspecting may be the mapping error scaring the car into thinking it needs to slow down ASAP.

1684159844187.png

Upvote 0
Interesting. OpenStreetMaps has 65MPH listed as the speed limit (see screenshot below). Also, that parking lot underneath (also in your Google Maps screenshot) is what I’m suspecting may be the mapping error scaring the car into thinking it needs to slow down ASAP.

View attachment 937849
Perhaps? What's so odd is that I wasn't able to see a change in the speed limit on the display. It only changes my set speed. I'm going to look out for that specifically tomorrow. Maybe it's quickly adjusting to 35 mph and then immediately increasing to 60 mph and I just missed it? To the east and west of downtown the speed limit is 65 mph but I'm pretty sure the speed limit is reduced when approaching downtown/this exchange. That's another thing I'll look for.

Reactions: TresLA
Upvote 0
I find it bizarre that the speed limit could be entirely based on a GPS location. Surely the connectivity of the road network would establish that if the car was on an interstate one moment, it cannot be on a secondary road the next when the two road segments are not connected.

Upvote 0
I find it bizarre that the speed limit could be entirely based on a GPS location. Surely the connectivity of the road network would establish that if the car was on an interstate one moment, it cannot be on a secondary road the next when the two road segments are not connected.
I would guess GPS location is just one input for determining speed limit. Mapping data doesn’t always account for these overlaps. I’m sure mapping sources will get better as more systems and clients rely on such data.

Upvote 0

View attachment 937849
I was able to confirm today that the speed limit 60 mph between Goldenrod and Kirkman. Also, the set speed limit issue didn't happen. I'm not sure if it was because I was in a different lane or if the issue has been resolved. I don't recall which lane I was in the 1st 2 times but I know the 3rd time I was in the right lane. Today I was in the middle lane and everything performed as expected. Maybe the right lane is right on the edge of how things are mapped? Who knows.

Upvote 0