Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I downloaded the stats app in the iOS store to check it out. It’s a neat app. Is it worth the money, I don’t know. Have a 7 day trial. One thing I noticed the app states my battery full capacity is 84kWh. Tesla states the long range MY has a 75kWh battery. Is Tesla purposely understating the actual size of the battery?? When charging to 100% is actually 100?? Like to hear some feedback.

Attachments

• BD3FFAAE-4241-43B5-A174-933994ABD085.jpeg
    BD3FFAAE-4241-43B5-A174-933994ABD085.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 2,450
Tesla no longer labels, publishes battery specs. The estimates I have seen for the total capacity of the battery currently used in the LRMY and PMY (built in Freemont, not the new 4460 battery pack being used in Austin) is 82kWh. The usable capacity of the 82kWh battery (when new) is estimated to be between 77 and 78 kWh.

You can use the EPA estimated combined city/highway range to come up with an estimate of the usable capacity of the battery.

For the LRMY w/19 wheels the EPA estimated range is 330 miles.

Using a consumption rate of either 234Wh/mile, 238Wh/mile or 240Wh/mile (take your pick) multiply the Wh/mile by the range estimate. This works out to battery capacities of 77.2kWh, 78.5kWh, 79.2kWh

For the LRMY w/20" wheels the EPA estimated range is 318 miles (just changing to the 20" wheels lowers the estimated range by 3.6%.)
This works out to 77.4kWh, 75.7kWh, 76.3kWh

Back in 2020 when the estimated range of the LRMY (wheels not stated) was 316 miles (before being later restated to be 330 miles) the numbers looked like this:

316 miles x 234 Wh/mi = 73.9kWh
316 miles x 238 Wh/mi = 75.2kWh
316 miles x 240 Wh/mi = 75.84kWh

I received a piece of paper from Tesla stating that the usable capacity of the battery in my 2020 LRMY was 74kWh. (This was provided for a rebate program that was available in Maryland in 2020.)

Total battery capacity in 2020 was estimated at 77 to 78 kWh. Tesla later increased the capacity of the battery in the PMY by ~4kWh. That is how the total capacity increased to ~82kWh.

Tesla no longer labels, publishes battery specs. The estimates I have seen for the total capacity of the battery currently used in the LRMY and PMY (built in Freemont, not the new 4460 battery pack being used in Austin) is 82kWh. The usable capacity of the 82kWh battery (when new) is estimated to be between 77 and 78 kWh.

You can use the EPA estimated combined city/highway range to come up with an estimate of the usable capacity of the battery.

For the LRMY w/19 wheels the EPA estimated range is 330 miles.

Using a consumption rate of either 234Wh/mile, 238Wh/mile or 240Wh/mile (take your pick) multiply the Wh/mile by the range estimate. This works out to battery capacities of 77.2kWh, 78.5kWh, 79.2kWh

For the LRMY w/20" wheels the EPA estimated range is 318 miles (just changing to the 20" wheels lowers the estimated range by 3.6%.)
This works out to 77.4kWh, 75.7kWh, 76.3kWh

Back in 2020 when the estimated range of the LRMY (wheels not stated) was 316 miles (before being later restated to be 330 miles) the numbers looked like this:

316 miles x 234 Wh/mi = 73.9kWh
316 miles x 238 Wh/mi = 75.2kWh
316 miles x 240 Wh/mi = 75.84kWh

I received a piece of paper from Tesla stating that the usable capacity of the battery in my 2020 LRMY was 74kWh. (This was provided for a rebate program that was available in Maryland in 2020.)

Total battery capacity in 2020 was estimated at 77 to 78 kWh. Tesla later increased the capacity of the battery in the PMY by ~4kWh. That is how the total capacity increased to ~82kWh.
Wow.. Thanks for the info.. Much appreciated

So I downloaded the stats app in the iOS store to check it out. It’s a neat app. Is it worth the money, I don’t know. Have a 7 day trial. One thing I noticed the app states my battery full capacity is 84kWh. Tesla states the long range MY has a 75kWh battery. Is Tesla purposely understating the actual size of the battery?? When charging to 100% is actually 100?? Like to hear some feedback.
Pretty sure the Model Y LR/AWD and the Model Y Performance have the same size battery pack—in reality. However, TESLA has battery limited the LR/AWD. Want proof? How about the fact that any LR/AWD owner can pay $2,000 and instantly receive “Acceleration Boost” for a half-second quicker 0-60mph time. This obviously means that TESLA is intentionally speed/battery limiting my TESLA. The Model Y Performance has 303mi of range compared to the LR/AWD (20-in Induction wheels) with 318mi of range. That discrepancy could be explained merely by the difference in wheel size. I’d bet that both have the same battery pack size in actuality.

Pretty sure the Model Y LR/AWD and the Model Y Performance have the same size battery pack—in reality. However, TESLA has battery limited the LR/AWD. Want proof? How about the fact that any LR/AWD owner can pay $2,000 and instantly receive “Acceleration Boost” for a half-second quicker 0-60mph time. This obviously means that TESLA is intentionally speed/battery limiting my TESLA. The Model Y Performance has 303mi of range compared to the LR/AWD (20-in Induction wheels) with 318mi of range. That discrepancy could be explained merely by the difference in wheel size. I’d bet that both have the same battery pack size in actuality.

The model Y LR and the P both do have the same battery size, so I dont know what your point is here. Acceleration boost has nothing to do with battery size, but motor. Also, What is the reason for capitalizing Tesla as TESLA throughout your post?

They claim the reduced mileage is due to the 21’s being heavier

The model Y LR and the P both do have the same battery size, so I dont know what your point is here. Acceleration boost has nothing to do with battery size, but motor. Also, What is the reason for capitalizing Tesla as TESLA throughout your post?
Battery pack has everything to do with speed. A Model S P100D is quicker than a Model S with, say, a 76kWh battery pack size. They may well have the same size motors. Both speed and range are impacted by battery pack size.

TESLA is capitalized in their letter logo and on their buildings. Why does me using all caps to spell TESLA trigger you?

Battery pack has everything to do with speed. A Model S P100D is quicker than a Model S with, say, a 76kWh battery pack size. They may well have the same size motors.

TESLA is capitalized in their letter logo and on their buildings. Why does me using all caps to spell TESLA trigger you?
My experience here has been that people who concentrate on typing TESLA like TESLA tend to fall into a specific posting pattern on other things here. I have always wondered what the correlation was, and since you also do that, I figured I would ask.

I dont think there is any claim of the wheels being heavier impacting range. The wheels being larger, and stickier, and higher rolling resistance, yes. Heavier, no.

That has nothing to do with "wheels heavier". The difference in wheel weight doesnt even add up to the average weight of one person, on a car that weighs more than 4000 Pounds.

My experience here has been that people who concentrate on typing TESLA like TESLA tend to fall into a specific posting pattern on other things here. I have always wondered what the correlation was, and since you also do that, I figured I would ask.
Well then, Freud, is my “posting pattern” akin to the other “TESLA” typers or not?