Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best charging stations in Los Angeles & Orange County

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

There are Tesla superchargers in Los Angeles and Orange Country that range from 70Kw-250KW, and their rates vary depending on the service and power output.
For instance, there is a 72Kw supercharger on Francisco Street with rates of:
29¢/ kWh $11/hour or $11 for 3 hours with validation.

Another 72Kw supercharger is located on Almeda Street with rates of:
41¢ / kWh 12 am-8 am
66¢ / kWh 8 am-7 pm
49¢ / kWh 7 pm-12 am
Parking - Free for 2 hours
(As of 10/26/22)

Additionally, a 250Kw supercharger is available in Culver City, Washington Boulevard, with rates of:
29¢ / kWh off-peak
58¢ / kWh on-peak (On-peak is 10 am-10 pm) As of 7/12/22
Parking fee - $2 first hour, up to $25 for 6 hours

I'm checking all these rates and stations through Plugshare. You can also check yourself and locate the nearby station and get the charging rates: Tesla Supercharger Map | PlugShare

Be aware that the PlugShare pricing is crowd sourced, or mostly Randy sourced, as I put MOST of California entries in back in Feb, those prices regularly change, previously in December, and again this month. Check the pricing note for the date and if you see it needs updating please lend a hand and copy the Cost Per and the Timing for that pricing from the Tesla Nav screen and put a note as to when you updated it. PlugShare automatically gets fed info on charge sites from the providers; like chargers that are in use or broken, but they do not receive updated cost info from any of them.

There isn't any other source for Supercharging pricing than the Tesla Nav Screen as most apps are not interested in doing the leg work or they haven't put in the codebase to figure it out. I use the phone app TezLab and they pull the price you paid for your last Supercharge from your Tesla acct. and divide by the kWhs you received to get the Cost Per, but they don't handle the ToD pricing, they only try to find a single price/kWh which sorta works outside cities.

Last edited:
Tesla owners can quickly see, on their display, the Superchargers within their range. Clicking on any of them will show the current rates, location, speed, and nearby ammenities. These rates change from time to time, as local taxes, electricity rates, surge pricing etc also change.

The only reason that I want another host to carry the current pricing info is for economical routing that Tesla doesn't do. I was charging at a site outside Seattle as the Tesla told me it was time to stop, but @Big Earl told me to go forward one SuperCharger down the highway and it was half as much. It's crazy sometimes. There was a SpC near me in Gilroy, CA that was 16¢ forever. It would be nice if there was a Gas Buddy like app that could tell me about the cheapest place to charge that is nearby when I need to charge. I don't mind paying for charging just don't wanna be stupid about it. The only think PlugShare tells me is where the nearest Free charger is (often wrong info too)

Just heard about a CCS charger in the South East that is the only DCFC for hundreds of miles that chargers $1/kWh and $50 idle fee... Oy!

Be aware that the PlugShare pricing is crowd sourced, or mostly Randy sourced, as I put MOST of California entries in back in Feb, those prices regularly change, previously in December, and again this month. Check the pricing note for the date and if you see it needs updating please lend a hand and copy the Cost Per and the Timing for that pricing from the Tesla Nav screen and put a note as to when you updated it. PlugShare automatically gets fed info on charge sites from the providers; like chargers that are in use or broken, but they do not receive updated cost info from any of them.

There isn't any other source for Supercharging pricing than the Tesla Nav Screen as most apps are not interested in doing the leg work or they haven't put in the codebase to figure it out. I use the phone app TezLab and they pull the price you paid for your last Supercharge from your Tesla acct. and divide by the kWhs you received to get the Cost Per, but they don't handle the ToD pricing, they only try to find a single price/kWh which sorta works outside cities.
yes, these prices are always different than actual prices. But we can get an idea from these prices (what should we expect)

I find the best ones are the free ones, which you can find in PlugShare by uncheckin the ‘show pay for stations’ box

The free ones are my least favorite, since they are usually full or broken.

From a South OC perspective, my favorite stations are:
  • Tesla: Lake Forest (Muirlands Blvd - 24 V3 stalls) - never had a problem here and while quite busy, I've not had to wait yet. Albertsons is a short walk as well, so we frequently shop there now.
  • CCS: Mission Viejo EA Target (Alicia - 6 150kW stalls) - When it works, it's nice as we can shop in Target. Good speeds and while busy we can usually get it w/o waiting.
To me, amenities are more important than charging speed. I don't mind longer charging sessions if there's something to do, or if there's at least a restroom nearby.

The free ones are my least favorite, since they are usually full or broken.

From a South OC perspective, my favorite stations are:
  • Tesla: Lake Forest (Muirlands Blvd - 24 V3 stalls) - never had a problem here and while quite busy, I've not had to wait yet. Albertsons is a short walk as well, so we frequently shop there now.
  • CCS: Mission Viejo EA Target (Alicia - 6 150kW stalls) - When it works, it's nice as we can shop in Target. Good speeds and while busy we can usually get it w/o waiting.
To me, amenities are more important than charging speed. I don't mind longer charging sessions if there's something to do, or if there's at least a restroom nearby.
Good to know! I'm always in those areas as well. especially the Mission Viejo Target off Alicia.

Still waiting on my VIN, but I'll take note of these ones!

Certainly Palo Road Park and Charge seems down for the count, I would say free charging was fading away with all the broken equipment, but then CalTrans opens new rest areas north of SF, and even my local power company finally replaced the broken free DCFCs in town.

Of course if free chargers start getting NACS plugs on them that could lead to a stampede at those chargers by the Tesla community that so far doesn't seem to know much about free charging.