Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Bear CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteelClouds

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2021
CA
I took my M3 SRD+ on a sort road trip from Orange Country to Big Bear Lake which is about 90 miles each way from here. 0 to about 7,000 feet of elevation. I topped off at home to 100% which is 216 miles. I stopped at the Supercharger at the base of the mountain at San Manuel Village 27961 Highland Avenue. There are 8 stalls and they tend to be busy but I got lucky and no wait. Not to much directly around but there is a Chevron mini mart across the road that is well equipped. The chargers themselves have a nice green area right behind them for the pups like ours. I topped back to 90% and headed up the mountain. The M3 handled well but felt a bit "heavy" compared to my A3 when i drove it up the mountain. But I loved the torque to pass the slower traffic :D The superchargers at Lake Arrowhead were out of service.. all of them. So if you want to use those, check ahead of time. I took my time and arrived at Big bear City at 54% with the ambient temps in mid 70s.

There is an awesome Nepal restaurant in town called "Himalayan". Worth the drive up just to eat there :). There is other food but thats our "go to" place.

There are not any superchargers in Big bear at this time. There are several destination Tesla chargers at an REMAX in town that are free but donations requested. You may have to wait as there are quite a few Tesla up in the mountain now. I cheat.. :D. I bring my Setec CCS and my Chad adapter where-ever I go. THere is ONE DCFC at the east end of the late behind a Union Bank run by Loop. .45 cents a Kw plus a buck service charge. Do NOT attempt to use them without getting the app set up ahead of time. Even at the best of time, they are hit and miss. I got lucky and while one station was in an endless reboot, the other did work on CCS.. it didnt work on Chad. So 50Kw and 20 mins top me off to 80%. On the way down the mountain, I picked up 8% in reg :). So I got to the bottom of the mountain at 81%.

Car was flawless going up and down the mountain in nice weather. 162% efficiency on the way down :D

Attachments

• IMG_5574.jpeg
    IMG_5574.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 432
  • IMG_5589.jpeg
    IMG_5589.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    892.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_5583.jpeg
    IMG_5583.jpeg
    634 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_5581.jpeg
    IMG_5581.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 212
I live in the SB mountains, and the lack of chargers up there is crazy for the amount of Teslas we have. Though the mountain has quite a few anti ev folk up here. Thankfully I charge at home but here in Crestline there isnt a public charger at all. A real estate agency has one but do not want anyone using it. Im trying to convince Lake Gregory to install some chargers at this time. Feel free to charge at my location when needed @SteelClouds lol

I go up there regularly in the winter months. I top up to 90% in Highland and it’s about 3% per 1,000’ of battery use on the climb (my rule of thumb, sometimes it’s a bit better and other times not). Usually I’ll get up there with around 65% left and even on the coldest days I’ll usually have 55%-60% left by the end of the day after skiing or whatever (sentry mode, cabin climate control, etc. running as normal). It’s about a 1% per 1,000’ regeneration coming back down, even with the weak-ass crippled regen that Tesla has foisted onto us since about last year. Car always handles great even on frozen roads. I keep chains just in case but have never actually needed them (I plan ahead to avoid driving during actual snow events and go before or after).

I know the Arrowhead chargers of which you speak - they’re terrible to try and find (I saw ZERO signage when I went looking but maybe they’ve added some since). Very poor support if they’re offline. That could create a bad situation for someone with a low charge having to then worry about getting someplace. Thankfully it’s mostly downhill and you should (in theory) be able to just regen along the way more or less continuously. Of course if you hit traffic on Rim of the World or something in that condition, in the cold, needing to run lots of heat, you’d be kind of screwed. Tesla really should take action on that one. Not many other options up that way. The ski places have bupkis. A couple of hotels do have Level 2s but for customers only.

Last edited:
I go up there regularly in the winter months. I top up to 90% in Highland and it’s about 3% per 1,000’ of battery use on the climb (my rule of thumb, sometimes it’s a bit better and other times not). Usually I’ll get up there with around 65% left and even on the coldest days I’ll usually have 55%-60% left by the end of the day after skiing or whatever (sentry mode, cabin climate control, etc. running as normal). It’s about a 1% per 1,000’ regeneration coming back down, even with the weak-ass crippled regen that Tesla has foisted onto us since about last year. Car always handles great even on frozen roads. I keep chains just in case but have never actually needed them (I plan ahead to avoid driving during actual snow events and go before or after).

I know the Arrowhead chargers of which you speak - they’re terrible to try and find (I saw ZERO signage when I went looking but maybe they’ve added some since). Very poor support if they’re offline. That could create a bad situation for someone with a low charge having to then worry about getting someplace. Thankfully it’s mostly downhill and you should (in theory) be able to just regen along the way more or less continuously. Of course if you hit traffic on Rim of the World or something in that condition, in the cold, needing to run lots of heat, you’d be kind of screwed. Tesla really should take action on that one. Not many other options up that way. The ski places have bupkis. A couple of hotels do have Level 2s but for customers only.
As im on the Crestline side ive gone up with 15-20% battery remaining if needed. I do wish the battery wouldnt drain so much going back up, maybe im driving to fast, lol but never over 55. This will be my first year driving in winter with a Tesla so will be interesting to see how it goes. Do you use Tesla chains or regular brand ones?? The Tesla superchargers at the underground parking lot in Arrowhead are still unsigned and can be a pain to find for sure if you dont know where to find them, I get about 5-10% in regen going down Hwy 18 depending on circumstances, I will constantly get regen is unavailable even with 80% battery sometimes. I do wish one of the turn offs on Hwy 18 would have Supercharges installed, that would be helpful for people. We need supercharges installed in places like in the past when Gas stations were being built, not in underground parking lots hidden away or a mile from the freeway

Reactions: beachmiles
Hi Alan, I got a set of the Tesla brand chains. I just don’t trust aftermarket stuff, generally speaking. Maybe it’d be fine but for something that I hope to never use anyway and if so, already in a bad situation I wouldn’t want to be experimenting. I read up on them and the OE manufacturer (forget the name) is very well regarded and they appear to be high quality. But… a little planning and avoiding really bad conditions in the first place works best.

lack of chargers up there is crazy for the amount of Teslas we have.
lack of chargers is nothing. Its the lack of parking that turns me off. I drove up to Big Bear last Saturday for an event. After about 15 minutes of looking for parking seeing only threatening 'parking restricted', 'tow away', etc, I just turned around and headed back down.
With a Supercharger down the mountain in Highland, there's really little need for a Supercharger there since any visitor can charge at the bottom and have plenty of charge to do what they want at the top.
And yes, it seemed like every 4th car on the road was a Tesla, with a few VW, Bolts, and Kia EVs mixed in.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
With a Supercharger down the mountain in Highland, there's really little need for a Supercharger there since any visitor can charge at the bottom and have plenty of charge to do what they want at the top
This is flawed thinking. One is the SC at this time do not help non teslas ( disclosure, I own 3 different EVs). Two, yes, You can charge and I do but I have a SR+ which means on a good day with moderate weather at the top, I have about a 45% charge or roughly 70-80 miles of range which doesn’t mean much in the hills or if it’s snowing. So no, there is not “plenty “ of charge at the top. Big Bear doesn’t need a SC per say. They need an EVgo like station that offers all three standard plugs. Even a 50kw stations beats L2 or nothing. Unfortunately what there is there is a poorly maintained set of two by Loop. The last time I was there out of four, 3 were dead. The really unfortunate thing is where the Loop chargers are at is/could be prime real estate for a decent charging pad. Plenty of access. Stores around it including Starbucks and easy access to plow to clear snow as required. The stores also mean there “should” be a decent power infrastructure to draw from for 50-125kw stations. It’s also just a few miles away from the main “tourist” town so no need to lose prime parking etc.

Hi Alan, I got a set of the Tesla brand chains. I just don’t trust aftermarket stuff, generally speaking. Maybe it’d be fine but for something that I hope to never use anyway and if so, already in a bad situation I wouldn’t want to be experimenting. I read up on them and the OE manufacturer (forget the name) is very well regarded and they appear to be high quality. But… a little planning and avoiding really bad conditions in the first place works best.
totally agree with the planning, ive lived up there now for 8 years so got my experience down so to speak, lol Appreciate the feedback

Reactions: SteelClouds
I have been eyeing this thread with some interest. I havent been up to Big bear in.. decades I guess, lol. My wife and I got married at 18, with the finances of typical 18 year olds (read, basically none lol).

We used to save up what little we could, and for what we could afford for a vacation, we would drive up to big bear lake in our beater car (we only had one between the two of us), stay someplace overnight we could find cheap, and rent a pontoon boat and have a picnic on the lake. I had a boom box I would bring, my wife would make us sandwiches and pack snacks, and we would float around for the pontoon boat rental time (I seem to remember 4 hours?).

That was a long time ago though (we are still married and in our mid 50s now), and I havent been up there for at least 20 years. This thread is making me nostalgic, and wanting to plan another trip "for old times" like we used to do.

Thanks for the details on charging.

Some things has stayed the same. Lot has changed. But the lake is still the lake and can be very pretty and relaxing. I wouldn’t use the word cheap anymore with big bear but it’s all relative. My earliest memories are. Camp Helendade (running springs) for scouting. Then driving up around the mid 70s.

This is flawed thinking. One is the SC at this time do not help non teslas ( disclosure, I own 3 different EVs). Two, yes, You can charge and I do but I have a SR+ which means on a good day with moderate weather at the top, I have about a 45% charge or roughly 70-80 miles of range which doesn’t mean much in the hills or if it’s snowing. So no, there is not “plenty “ of charge at the top. Big Bear doesn’t need a SC per say. They need an EVgo like station that offers all three standard plugs. Even a 50kw stations beats L2 or nothing. Unfortunately what there is there is a poorly maintained set of two by Loop. The last time I was there out of four, 3 were dead. The really unfortunate thing is where the Loop chargers are at is/could be prime real estate for a decent charging pad. Plenty of access. Stores around it including Starbucks and easy access to plow to clear snow as required. The stores also mean there “should” be a decent power infrastructure to draw from for 50-125kw stations. It’s also just a few miles away from the main “tourist” town so no need to lose prime parking etc.
hmm. I'm not clear on what you are suggesting.
I made it from Pasadena to Big Bear and back on a single M3LR charge, with 25% to spare -- and I didn't drive slowly. Granted, that was nearly ideal weather (no AC or heat needed) but I'm quite sure that an SR+ could easily have charged in Highland, made it up, then made it back down. Even the 45% you state (at the top) should be just fine. After all, you'll probably have 50% by the time you get down from Big Bear since Big Bear is at 7,000 ft elevation.
A non-Tesla EV would have a choice of EVgo, EA, or Chargepoint stations in Highland, at the bottom of the hill. This is a goldmine of charging options found in few other places on earth.
Its always sad to see charging stations poorly maintained like the one in Big Bear. Unfortunately, that's a lot of what you get when you pay the extra money for a Tesla. They care. The other carmakers would rather that you had bought an ICE from them. Since you did demand an EV, they'll only pocket your money. They certainly won't invest in a sustainable charging infrastructure for you. I keep hoping that the non-Tesla infrastructure would improve but hope doesn't make things happen like money does. It does appear to be improving slowly but it certainly does influence car buying decisions.
It doesn't really matter to me though. Given the lack of parking and extreme congestion up there, I'm not in any rush to go back any time soon. If I want a miserable, congested mess, I'll go to downtown LA or some other big city.

. Given the lack of parking and extreme congestion up there, I'm not in any rush to go back any time soon. If I want a miserable, congested mess, I'll go to downtown LA or some other big city
I’ ve been there like that but often time I go up on off days or when it’s cooler. The. Last two time I went up I was able to easily get street parking and visit my favorite restaurant which is the 2nd reason I go there. The first reason is I enjoy the drive :). I would much prefer to go up the front via Highland like you say and I do charge there. But I would prefer to come down the back side (38) but it’s a charging desert on the backside even at the bottom of the mountain. So to pull that off, I need at least 80% when I leave the lake so I have plenty to circle around the base at the bottom.

Reactions: cdub
But I would prefer to come down the back side (38) but it’s a charging desert on the backside even at the bottom of the mountain
I don't understand this either. On 38 to the south, you run into Redlands after 37 downhill miles with plenty of fast charging options. If you mean really 'the back side', which is 18, or 173 to the northeast, you get to Victorville and Hesperia, both of which are less than 80 mostly-downhill miles and have a lot of charging options.

I envy your ability to go places on off-days. Some day, I, too, will retire.

Reactions: SteelClouds