Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big smile as electric bill arrives post-Tesla solar install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WSE51

Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2012
Park City, Utah
Los Angeles DWP invoices every two months.

My first two month invoice fully on Tesla Solar/Powerwall arrived today, and it worked out just as I hoped.

Due to my home orientation and roof gables, I was limited in the amount of solar panels I could install.

Even though the solar system only produced about 36% of the total electricity used, 88% of the High Peak usage was eliminated. Tesla's time-of-use algorithms nailed it.

My invoice was 54% lower than last year’s August invoice.

Hurray for Tesla, and my thanks to them for sticking it out through the tough LADWP and City of LA regulatory maze.

Reactions: NuShrike
Big Dog, you are correct that a more careful statistical analysis is in order. Thank you.

I just did it, having downloaded the daily usage and production statistics from Tesla for the exact dates covered by the DWP invoice. My home usage for the 59 days ending 8/23/19 was lower than for the same period in 2018 --- but only 6.1% lower. My invoice was 54% lower.

There was one additional factor - in 2018 I was not on TOU and the great majority of my invoice was at the price of 28.71 cents per KwH. In 2019, I was on TOU rates, and the High Peak Rate was only 26.08 cents. So even without any solar/Powerwall system, and even if all my usage was at High Peak, I would have saved about 9.2%

So perhaps 15%-16% of savings was not attributable to the solar/Powerwall system and around 38% savings was solar/Powerwall.

One final statistic. DWP says that my home usage was about 1.7% higher than Tesla says it was. While that is close enough for me, I am curious how this compares with others' experience.