Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PTO happened crazy fast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how big of a topic PTO is these days but I remember a time when many threads were about PTO delays (or maybe that was on Reddit, I don't recall). Anyway, I'm in Los Angeles with LADWP and it took one week. So it can theoretically be that fast.

Back story is that I was holding back the final payment because of a reimbursement dispute for damage that they did. This dragged on for months and when we finally resolved it, I completed payment. They said PTO takes about six weeks with LADWP so I asked them to expedite me because of all the delays. On 4/19 my project advisor told me that they had not submitted yet and he'd see if they could possibly expedite. On 4/21 I received an email from LADWP that they were going to install a NET meter. Today, on 4/27 they installed it and told me I have PTO.

So if anyone is in LADWP and your solar company tells you that PTO is taking a long time because of the electric company, that is a big fat lie. Tesla submitted for my PTO at some point between 4/19-4/21 and I had PTO on 4/27. It can happen that fast.

Tesla says they can't proceed until they receive a confirmation email from LADWP but the guy who put the new meter in said that email will be sent today or tomorrow.

Now the ball is in Tesla's court and I don't know how fast they will get this wrapped up but I'm happy with how fast the PTO process is going.

Yes, under the right circumstances it can happen quickly. It did for me back in early 2019 in SDG&E territory. Installation finished on a Monday. City inspection on Tuesday, Paperwork submitted to SDG&E on either Tuesday or Wednesday of that week with PTO granted on that Thursday.

Mine is already on, but I can't send excess power to the grid which is the main benefit of PTO for me. What's the process for making that happen?

How do I get my app to accurately reflect the power I send upstream and then apply that against my usage when I use it?

And how do I get my system to use my credits before tapping into my Powerwalls?

Mine is already on, but I can't send excess power to the grid which is the main benefit of PTO for me. What's the process for making that happen?

How do I get my app to accurately reflect the power I send upstream and then apply that against my usage when I use it?

And how do I get my system to use my credits before tapping into my Powerwalls?
It can take a few days for Tesla to push out the change to allow exports. Be patient, or call Tesla and ask for it.

You might want read some of the existing threads here, many of which address your questions, but the TL;DR version is set your power rate charges, pick a mode and give it a week or two and only then decide if you like it, and if you don't, change something. Your credits are done monthly or annually, depending on your rate tariff.

I would suggest that you read up on "Time Based Control", and "Self Powered", and decide which version you want. The former attempts to minimize your power costs, the latter the amount of power consumed from the grid (not the same thing). You may need to alter your electrical rates in the app to get the behavior that you want, e.g. my settings have the buy rate about 20% more expensive than the sell rate to account for NBCs.(Non-Bypassable Charges, something else you could read up on)

Welcome to your new solar /ESS system

All the best,

BG

It can take a few days for Tesla to push out the change to allow exports. Be patient, or call Tesla and ask for it.

You might want read some of the existing threads here, many of which address your questions, but the TL;DR version is set your power rate charges, pick a mode and give it a week or two and only then decide if you like it, and if you don't, change something. Your credits are done monthly or annually, depending on your rate tariff.

I would suggest that you read up on "Time Based Control", and "Self Powered", and decide which version you want. The former attempts to minimize your power costs, the latter the amount of power consumed from the grid (not the same thing). You may need to alter your electrical rates in the app to get the behavior that you want, e.g. my settings have the buy rate about 20% more expensive than the sell rate to account for NBCs.(Non-Bypassable Charges, something else you could read up on)

Welcome to your new solar /ESS system

All the best,

BG

Thanks for all that. Sounds like it's not a simple as I thought and I've got some research to do.

But regardless of what settings I have in the app, after Tesla makes the change to allow exports, they will automatically happen when I am overproducing, correct? I don't have to do anything to start earning credits? And I will be able to see my exports in the app right away?

The app settings only affect how my house uses electricity?

Thanks for all that. Sounds like it's not a simple as I thought and I've got some research to do.

But regardless of what settings I have in the app, after Tesla makes the change to allow exports, they will automatically happen when I am overproducing, correct? I don't have to do anything to start earning credits? And I will be able to see my exports in the app right away?

The app settings only affect how my house uses electricity?
Yes, you can see the exports/imports/battery use/charging via the app in quasi-real time. The current version of the app will animate the usage, with different colored bars, so you can see how odd the usage can be, e.g. solar, Powerwall, and grid all contributing to supply energy to the house at the same time as Tesla tries to ensure just the right mount of reserve at any given time.

Once Tesla puts your Gateway into exports allowed mode, power exports happen automatically, as needed, and as available.

Your house is a "dumb" load. It just uses energy. The Gateway makes the real-time "decision" about how much power to supply from batteries, and then everything else follows. For example, say the house is using 6kW (running an electric dryer, and a few minor other items), solar is producing 2.kW, and you are in time based control, with batteries with a projected excess (by the Gateway's current mode/algorith), so the Gateway has the powerwalls contribute 1.5.kW, and thus allows the house to draw 2.5kW from the grid at off peak rates. The same load at different time of day, with same solar, might have no battery contribution, or 100% power supplied by the battery, or again some mix, depending on rates, battery state of charge, and anticipated home load before the next solar input. Yes, it is complicated, but in practice, once you set it, forget it for a week or two, check to see if the Gateway is doing what you want, and tweak something if it isn't. Watching the app, and reading here helped me learn quite a bit. Some folks get a little compulsive about checking and tweaking in the beginning, and don't allow enough time for the Gateway to "learn" what your home usage is like, and adjust the algorithm appropriately. (I.e. Tweaking settings every day or more often is usually a recipe for NOT getting what you want.)

Patience is a virtue sometimes...

All the best,

BG

You won't see anything beneficially different until June for LADWP, the Oct-May rates have peak and mid peak at the same rate which is not that different than the off peak rate so I don't think there would be much if any time shifting of power use if the app were set to TBC, vs Self Powered.

LADWP's applying credit may not be clear at first... say you are a net consumer with the R1 tiered plan by 100KWh for the two month billing, you'll be able to apply credits of that 100KWh x $0.08/KWh (this is the applied credit amount, I didn't find this in any paperwork when I first ordered solar nor when I received PTO, only until I called LADWP did they explain this) which would normally cost either $0.18/KWh or $0.21/KWh, leaving you with the difference to pay. Plus, there would be monthly fees that amount to $10 + 10% of that in tax so $1, both of these cannot be covered by credits.
If you move to TOU R2 plan, those fees can be covered by credits, but you'll still face the same $0.08/KWh credit rate.
One good thing is that LADWP still defines Peak as 1-5pm so your maximum generating ability will usually result in credits in the best possible way, and typical high peak use in the evenings after sundown are only charged at mid-peak pricing. As far as I've heard, LADWP will remain on NEM2 for the foreseeable future, so win some, lose some...

Also, my PTO was delayed by almost two months because Telsa installed the meter disconnect switch despite it not being approved by LADWP -- they were trying to push the data to LADWP as proof of concept but LADWP was having none of it. After they removed the meter disconnect switch, over the course of about 2 weeks, I made lots of calls to Tesla (worthless in most cases but my original PA who had been promoted eventually contacted the correct people) and then t LADWP and within a couple of days, the new net meter was installed and I got PTO email from LADWP later that day, with Tesla confirming it the following day. What I didn't know was during that before PTO, I could have operated the system since Tesla inhibits export, so I unnecessarily paid over $800 more in imported power during some insane heatwaves.

Weirdly my app is showing the toggles for export, even though I’m not PTO yet (not even final inspected). Seems to be the honor system, though I guess PGE would gladly take the power and not give me credit, since prior to PTO, best case…and worse case fine me for generating without PTO.

Anyone have experience on PG&E PTO wait times these days?

I also have the toggle for charge from grid, which I assume (since install is after 1/1/2023) has no IRS / ITC tax issue, so I could in theory flip that one…but it works be kinda pointless prior to PTO, since I generate way more then I consume on my backup loads (EVSE’s are not backed up).