Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike Rack - Roof vs Trunk vs Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've got my new Model 3 LR and planning the annual (Okay so minus 1 year of Covid) trip to NSW and trying to decide if I use my Saris Bones rack which seemed to fit perfectly well on my old A4 or do I go buy a roof rack and bike carrier or should I splash out and get a towbar/hitch installed...

Hoping there is a huge bank of knowledge on what the best option is based on others experiences. Any help/advice/banter will be appreciated :)

Is there a huge difference in range with a roof mount vs anything on the back? It seems that there might be some additional wind resistance on the rook but equally a "parachute" type effect on the back... Anyway I'm sure all you Tesla experts will know the answer :D
I put in a tow hitch as it is handy with bikes but also can be used to pull a trailer on occasion which is handy. EcoHitch makes a model and even an inductive light tap for a wiring harness.

Reactions: 0CO2
I do not recommend the Yakima window rail mount version. I had a surfboard attached and the front rails detached last week almost smashing the roof glass. The clips are metal and tend to scratch, but I painted them in acrylic the same colour as the car to reduce the effect of scratches.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman