Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Lug Nuts or Lug Nut Covers That Will Fit a Locking Lug Nut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery very soon on a red M3P. Since I live in Wisconsin, I plan on getting 19" dedicated winter wheels/tires. Since I will probably go with black wheels, I would also like to have matching, black lug nuts. Here are my questions......are locking lug nuts a good idea with expensive wheels (to deter the petty thief)? If so, should I get aftermarket, black lug nuts along with black locking lugs, or are there black lug nut covers out there that will also fit over a locking lug? I saw these black lug nuts out there on the evannex site: Gorilla Lug Nuts for Tesla Owners.

Locking nuts are a deterrent, but a thief can bypass them in very little time. The idea is that they might not waste time on your locking nuts and just move to the next vehicle. Even rookie thieves can get past them. I once had two different sets of locks, but it became more of a hassle for myself than anyone else. And guess what... those wheels were still stolen. Haha.

I run Motorsport Hardware black tuner lugs with my aftermarket wheels. They also make a tuner lock type which I have as spares.

Reactions: JSWE
There's really nothing unique about Tesla lug nuts. If you search for "black acorn 14x1.5 lug nuts" on Amazon or just about anywhere, you will find a bunch of them.

You can go with "spline" lug nuts if you want some that need a tool to remove but aren't fully designed to be "locks." They make it a bit harder to steal.

Reactions: JSWE