Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bloomberg 2019 EV Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The European car companies have established manufacturing, sales outlets, and a long history of customer service and will leverage their positions to gain market share.
That's rather easier than losing market share when you start at 0 ;-). I fully expect --nay, *want*-- the other manufacturers to gain market share in the EV market. That would mean they make capable EVs, which means they'll be less half-hearted at ditching their ICE models or dragging their feet at doing so (and lobbying for the transition to be slower).

If the EV market grows explosively, even with competition, Tesla would still end up with a smaller piece of a much, much larger pie.

IMO range anxiety will not be a factor in Europe, regardless of which brand the customer chooses to purchase.
If that were true, I'd be driving a Zoe right now. Or I'd have bought an SR+, but if you see the Eurolander subfora you'll see that the sight of the (off-menu) RWD LR which I'm driving is not as rare as one would imagine.

Reactions: mspohr
Volkswagen's battery supply may be in trouble - electrive.com

There are concerns at Volkswagen that a supply contract with Samsung SDI worth around 50 billion euros could be called off. The Koreans are said to have originally agreed to supply battery cells with a total capacity of just over 20 GWh to VW.

However, the deal now appears to have got down to a mere 5 GWh, reports Bloomberg, citing insiders.

What a bunch of clickbait. We're talking 2025, and VW has been careful to select several vendors for the batteries. If one of them does not deliver, there's ample room to pick someone else for the packs that go into one of the "50 future models" to be launched between now and 2025...

What a bunch of clickbait. We're talking 2025, and VW has been careful to select several vendors for the batteries. If one of them does not deliver, there's ample room to pick someone else for the packs that go into one of the "50 future models" to be launched between now and 2025...
Audi today is limited by battery supply for their eTron.
Not that easy to ramp up (even when we'll funded) when you start so late in the game.

Good news
GM plans its own nationwide charging network with Bechtel

h construction giant Bechtel to build thousands of chargers around the U.S. with the aim of promoting adoption of electric cars.

The companies will form a joint venture to build the chargers in which Bechtel will provide its expertise in construction and permitting and GM will provide data from its cars and drivers about the best sites to install those chargers

Will be located along interstates to enable long-distance travel but will be sited in underserved and urban areas. The chargers will comply with SAE and IEEE standards, so will be available for EVs from any automaker to use.