Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW to provide engines to Tesla? No, Fisker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VolkerP

EU Model S P-37
Jul 6, 2011
Germany
A short message on heise cars mentions supply agreements between BMW and other car manufacturers.
among Toyota and Citroen/Peugot, Tesla Motors is listed to recieve engines:

BMW-Chef Norbert Reithofer hat die Belieferung Dritter mit Motoren zum Bestandteil der Unternehmensstrategie gemacht. Die bisherigen Vereinbarungen laufen aber schleppend an. Wegen der möglichen Pleite von Saab steht die Belieferung des schwedischen Autobauers infrage. An den US-Nischenhersteller Tesla sollen vergleichsweise geringe Stückzahlen gehen.

My translation:
BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer added 3rd party engine supplying to the company's strategy. Current deals do little progress. The possible bankrupt of Saab puts supplying the Swedish car maker in jeopardy. The US niche manufacturer Tesla is planned for minor numbers, only.

Did they mix up Tesla with Fisker? I read somewhere that the Karma's GM-supplied engine should be replaced with BMW.

Last edited:
I have to think they mixed up with Fisker. Yes, I recall hearing that Fisker plans to use BMW gas engines. I also think Tesla has been clear that they have no intention to put gasoline range extenders into any of their vehicles. (Hopefully ever.)

Another speculation might be a mix-up between Engine and Motor. Perhaps they make something like a power steering or wiper motor Tesla may buy?
very unlikely.
BMW=Bayerische Motoren Werke, where "Motor" is an ICE. The linked article is about third party supply agreements for diesel and other ICE between BMW and others. Most electric motors in accessories for German car manufacturers are produced by OEM suppliers like BOSCH or Schaeffler/Continental.