TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BMW to provide engines to Tesla? No, Fisker

Discussion in 'News' started by VolkerP, Nov 28, 2011.

1. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

#1 VolkerP, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
    A short message on heise cars mentions supply agreements between BMW and other car manufacturers.
    among Toyota and Citroen/Peugot, Tesla Motors is listed to recieve engines:

My translation:
    Did they mix up Tesla with Fisker? I read somewhere that the Karma's GM-supplied engine should be replaced with BMW.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I have to think they mixed up with Fisker. Yes, I recall hearing that Fisker plans to use BMW gas engines. I also think Tesla has been clear that they have no intention to put gasoline range extenders into any of their vehicles. (Hopefully ever.)

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Another speculation might be a mix-up between Engine and Motor. Perhaps they make something like a power steering or wiper motor Tesla may buy?

4. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

very unlikely.
    BMW=Bayerische Motoren Werke, where "Motor" is an ICE. The linked article is about third party supply agreements for diesel and other ICE between BMW and others. Most electric motors in accessories for German car manufacturers are produced by OEM suppliers like BOSCH or Schaeffler/Continental.

5. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

the i3 / i8 electric motor will be build by BMW himselfe ... cause they are the "Bayerische Motoren Werke"

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Tesla's business model is rooted in the EV platform for now. If Tesla wanted to build a long ranger vehicle only then I could see TM going in that direction but until then the DC motor will be king at TM.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

DC motor?!

Don't you mean AC!