Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I understand the Boombox feature is either going away or being reduced/modified, but I had hoped to be able to use my new M3 as a kind of boombox at a tailgate type situation. When testing it out my experience was it works fine playing music from my bluetooth when in the car, but as soon as I step out (with my phone) it stopped. I then tried to leave my phone in the car and step out, but that stopped it as well.

Is this not the functionality? Is there a way to get the M3 to play music when not in the car?

My car doesnt have boombox feature so I have no first hand knowledge, but I thought camp mode allowed you to keep the car awake and "doing stuff".

Since the boombox feature is supposed to go away, I would not focus too much on using that speaker for anything. Would rolling down your windows and using camp mode work for what you want?

From what I understand the Boombox feature is either going away or being reduced/modified, but I had hoped to be able to use my new M3 as a kind of boombox at a tailgate type situation. When testing it out my experience was it works fine playing music from my bluetooth when in the car, but as soon as I step out (with my phone) it stopped. I then tried to leave my phone in the car and step out, but that stopped it as well.

Is this not the functionality? Is there a way to get the M3 to play music when not in the car?
I think Boombox is only supposed to work while you are in the car and sitting in the seat. As soon as you get out it turns off. And I don't think Tesla will completely remove Boombox due to the NHTSA, but will likely only allow it to work while parked.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I've been hoping for a tailgate mode for years. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen (and yes, an external speaker would make tailgate mode even better!)

Camp mode works, but it seems really silly/wasteful to keep the HVAC running. This is yet another one of those cases where it's probably a 15 minute software job to put in this functionality, but apparently the Tesla software development team has never been to a tailgate so they just don't understand the application for it.

Even Elon Musk acknowledged that it would be a cool feature in a Tweet (I think he may have referred to it as party mode), but nothing ever came of it.

Ah, I haven't tried Camp Mode but I found that I can just leave the driver's side door propped slightly and Boombox keeps playing. It seems to only cut off when I close the doors. I did this the other day for an hour or so, just turned off HVAC, and lightly closed the door so it didn't latch. It did eventually turn off, or pause the music, though.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
I didn't start out looking for a boombox problem, but . . . . .

I wanted a flash drive with a few thousand songs on it, so I could listen to my choice in music at the given moment. Oops, there is only 1 USB port that is actually usable for anything other than charging. That one is in the glove box, and is primarily for dashcam. Best not to tamper with that one and screw up the car warranty or something. But found on the forum a link to a USB hub, which sounded like it would work with the dashcam and allow me to add other USB device(s). Got one, pulled the Tesla flash memory, plugged in the hub, plugged the Tesla flash memory into the hub, crossed fingers and began testing.

Works like a champ, my MY didn't care that the hub was in the mix. Formatted my USB flash memory and plugged it in. Everything still works. Copied 50,000 songs (mp3s), into 40 or so folders to my device and plugged it in. USB is now a valid source, I can choose folder mode and there's all my folders. Choose one, select a title and voilà, not only plays, but sounds really good. Have really enjoyed it for a couple of months.

Decided to try annoying the neighbors with my music choices. . . .
Tried to access boom box ... finally gave up and tried voice command boombox and it came to life and began to make noise. Actually, the rice crispy noise? Could control the volume, so it must be just a source issue? Did a forum search for boom box and got an insane amount of hits and spent a couple hours reading / scanning without finding anything that I could use to solve my problem.

Went searching for boom box sources on the car display and fumbled around for 1/2 hour or so and all at once - the neighbors were treated to Jerry Reed, Mule Skinner Blues. Let him finish, got out of the car to take bows and of course, when the door closed all went quiet.

Twas great fun, but since then I have been totally unsuccessful at ever finding the display path, button combination to ever achieve it again. While I'm waiting for my kid at Walmart and people gather around to ask Tesla questions and visit, I would really like to discover the magic and memorize the path to get back to it. In case anyone happens to have this function down cold. TIA

Reactions: CheapBastid