Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Shudder / Vibration Model 3 Performance- Misaligned Rotor During Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I wanted to capture this incase someone else came across this problem. I had a brake shudder / vibration on my M3P. Of course, I figured it was a warped rotor. Probably from a track day. Obvious problem. So, I ordered some OEM rotors which are actually some pretty nice bimetal units. I tried to go Brembo, but they don't make anything for the Performance model. Two piece are a little too salty.

So, as I replaced them I noticed some damage caused during the last time I installed them. The rotor hats on the performance are thin. And, I didn't use the alignment screw, because everyone knows, that is only for the factory. As a result, the rotor was not aligned and was pressed / smashed during the wheel install and essentially offset causing an oval / non-concentric spinning pattern and in turn a shudder / vibration. So, if you have a shudder on your performance, take a look. This might be your issue.

I've replaced many rotors over the years, and the hat was so thick that this would be nearly impossible. The rotor installed fine and the wheel torqued appropriately. It actually reshaped the hat. Just something to watch for.

20240305_171453.jpg
20240305_171315.jpg

Reactions: dek526