Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Built in solar panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bot bot

Jun 14, 2024
usa
With constantly running protection features, we really need a constant supply of energy source. I propose a solar panel attached on the top of the trunk lid. With a build in motor, the panel can rotate face up or down, when charging is completed.

thumbs-up-90s.gif

I'd thought of taking a roof glass sheet, then adding Maxeon solar cells to the underside it. One would need to strip off any tinting, then apply a tinting to the bottom of the mounting and sealing epoxy the cells are embedded in. It could also be done to the hatch. The could also be top surface mounted, but then air resistance and the need to environmental protect them and the wiring. At best it would provide charge maintenance and a few miles a day. Warm days only. Cold days nope. Not enough energy to keep the batteries warm.

Flexible panels could be somehow mounted under the current glass.

Do we have an estimate for what the "basic "awake" loads when parked" are?
I recommend running the numbers before worrying about where you're going to put the panel(s).
Keep in mind that, when charging, which would be happening when this proposed panel gets plugged into the system, the load is a lot higher than when sleeping.

Reactions: MitchMitch