Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying PPA solar system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla solar PPA is approaching the 5 year mark, at which time I have the option to buy the system for “fair market value”. Has anyone else gone through with this? I’m curious what the appraised value would be.

I looked in to it, when I wanted to add more panels to my 8 yr old PPA system. It did not make any financial sense, based on the quote I got from Tesla. Ended up getting(buying) a second PV system. Which on second thoughts, should have never gone with Tesla, as it is now 4 months since I am waiting for a repair.

Upvote 0
My Tesla solar PPA is approaching the 5 year mark, at which time I have the option to buy the system for “fair market value”. Has anyone else gone through with this? I’m curious what the appraised value would be.

I looked at it, and the method they use to determine fair market value is such that there is virtually zero chance you will complete the purchase ( or that it would make any sort of sense).

Im not an accounting major, but in a nutshell their fair market value is calculated such that it also seems to include the lost revenue they expected to get from the rest of the PPA term.

When I looked at mine at 5 years (in 2020), the "fair market value" of my system was such that, buying my 8.7kW sized system that was on my house already, was SIGNIFICANTLY more than a 12.X kW sized system tesla was selling at that time. By significantly more I mean for what they wanted for the buyout for my 5 year old 8.7kW sized system, you could (right now) buy a 13kW+ sized brand new system from tesla right now (per their online quote system).

TL ;DR

Its not going to be worth it, dont waste your time.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips! This is helpful. I’d prefer owning so I can have control of repairs and upgrades but if the price is really that bad then it sounds like it won’t make sense.
The system basically works and produces more even power than anticipated, but the energy data collection features are pretty bad and customer service is horrible to get in touch with.
As an example - they’ve been sending me daily emails and text messages for the past week saying there’s a problem and I need to schedule service, even though it all seems fine to me. Every time I click the link, the app says there’s an error. I tried calling a couple times and got a message that average wait time is over an hour so I just gave up.
So far they have sent 4 separate technicians out to “fix” the CT monitoring. Each of them told me the clamps were installed wrong and blamed the last guy. LOL.

Upvote 0