Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used [when to apply for financing?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a used cpo tesla. After you hit buy, depending on the location, they need to ship it to you, and then schedule a time for pickup. I'd say between 1-2 weeks. I applied for financing as soon as i hit the buy button. The only requirement is that you must have the check from loan company when you pick up the car. But the schedule is flexible and you can schedule the pick up when you know you'll have check in hand. I wouldn't worry too much about the timing.

Does Tesla still do CPO? I thought they did away with that?

They don’t like to call it that and their standards are lower than other makes but it’s a manufacturer certified and warranted car sold by the manufacturer and the car is pre owned, to me that makes it a CPO.

Timescales vary, it seems to be something they fit in around delivering new cars, it can take weeks.

They don’t like to call it that and their standards are lower than other makes but it’s a manufacturer certified and warranted car sold by the manufacturer and the car is pre owned, to me that makes it a CPO.

Timescales vary, it seems to be something they fit in around delivering new cars, it can take weeks.

They may not call it that. But I’ve seen some very poor CPO examples by both BMW and VW. Mismatched tires, bondo repairs, accidents on the car history, etc...what Tesla does with their inspection is at least equal to if not better than other CPO cars that I’ve seen.

Not trying to grave-dig an old thread, but I thought some folks would find this interesting.

I went to my local Tesla dealership yesterday, and when I asked the store owner the same question, he told me a pretty wild story. Apparently on December 31st, 2020, he had a new customer walk in at 1:00 PM saying he was ready to buy a Tesla.

The gentleman obviously wasn't paying via loan/lease, but apparently the dealership was able to get him lined up with everything he needed in just over four hours. He drove the car off the lot the same day that he bought it.

Not every delivery is going to be this fast, but it really does emphasise @pl8dlikafiddle's point about it depending on locality rather than a set timeframe.