Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can old charging cord cause breaker to trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Emoney18

Jun 23, 2023
usa
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2018 model x. When I try to charge it on my 220 it is tripping the breaker almost daily. I had a 22 model 3 and this never happened once in the year I owned it. Could this be happening do to an older charging cord? It is being plugged in to the same outlet.

The short answer to your question is yes, it could. However, to be clear it is unlikely to be because the mobile connector is older. There are also other potential causes.

The gen 1 mobile connector allows charging at up to 40A while the gen2 mobile connector only allows charging at up to 32A. For this reason alone, the questions posed above are relevant. If you are plugging into an outlet that is rated for more than the circuit and there is thusly a smaller breaker, this can happen. This would be "normal" in at least one NEMA scenario I know of: a 40A circuit would use a 50A outlet because there isn't such thing as a 40A outlet, but a 40A circuit should not have EV charging performed beyond 32A, which couldn't happen on the newer mobile connector, but could on the older one. In that scenario, you should manually limit the charge speed to 32A in this location (and depending on how many times you've tripped the breaker, it may even be advisable to have everything inspected by a qualified electrician as it is potentially only tripping after significant heat is built up). In any other scenario, it may also be relevant if the 22 3 is a SR or RWD (some configurations of some years of 3's have a smaller charger than the "standard" charger), as it is feasible the circuit has always had a problem, but you weren't previously pushing its limits. Finally, regardless of whether or not the outlet and breaker are 50A and do match, It is also feasible that the outlet is worn from having any mobile connector plugged and unplugged frequently, so this experience could actually come down to timing on outlet wear.

Reactions: Cosmacelf