Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Recommendation - San Diego - Local thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wash it yourself. My wife and I (age 75) use two or three gallons of distilled water in a battery-run spray unit. The spray knocks loose the dust, dirt and bugs and rinses them onto the driveway, and leaves no hard water spots. Then we use diapers (nothin' better!) to dry the car. I do the windows, she does the sides, and we meet in the middle. Then we use spray wax to bring back the slick feel, applied with a soft cloth. This is a LOT cheaper than having Mary Jane at the auto wash place do your car for you, and you probably need to get out in the air once in a while anyway. If it's just light dirt, a spray bottle with distilled water can moisten the dust and it wipes clean easily.

Note that we DO NOT use soap, so the old wax isn't washed off. There's no reason to get rid of that layer, and any that washes off with distilled water can easily be re-applied with spray wax and a few gentle swipes.

For the last step, I lay a few folded blankets down by my wheels and wipe them with a wet cloth as I lay on the floor.

We have been washing our cars this way for a total of seven years and 185,000 miles and they still look showroom clean and shiny with less than a half hour of effort. And I spend the savings on toys for both of us. Win-win!!

Unm
Wash it yourself. My wife and I (age 75) use two or three gallons of distilled water in a battery-run spray unit. The spray knocks loose the dust, dirt and bugs and rinses them onto the driveway, and leaves no hard water spots. Then we use diapers (nothin' better!) to dry the car. I do the windows, she does the sides, and we meet in the middle. Then we use spray wax to bring back the slick feel, applied with a soft cloth. This is a LOT cheaper than having Mary Jane at the auto wash place do your car for you, and you probably need to get out in the air once in a while anyway. If it's just light dirt, a spray bottle with distilled water can moisten the dust and it wipes clean easily.

Note that we DO NOT use soap, so the old wax isn't washed off. There's no reason to get rid of that layer, and any that washes off with distilled water can easily be re-applied with spray wax and a few gentle swipes.

For the last step, I lay a few folded blankets down by my wheels and wipe them with a wet cloth as I lay on the floor.

We have been washing our cars this way for a total of seven years and 185,000 miles and they still look showroom clean and shiny with less than a half hour of effort. And I spend the savings on toys for both of us. Win-win!!
Thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately I'm a busy guy with two tiny kids.. I just wanted to know where people are going to in my local area.