Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Spoiler Adhesion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Model Y carbon fiber spoiler from a fellow MY owner and put it on my LR AWD. The old adhesive was cleaned and new 3M VHB was placed on. I actually took it to the service center and the techs put it on for me.

After about a week, I'm noticing that the left side is pulling back slightly. I know this was a common issue for Model 3 owners - have Model Y owners seen the same issue? From what I was reading, it seems like it's just a molding issue for Tesla spoilers. Is ripping it off and applying a stronger glue/adhesive the only way to fix this?

The remaining 90% of the spoiler is stuck on trunk lid firmly, so I don't think it'll fly off when I'm driving on the freeway...at least I hope not? That's my second worry.

My spoiler is also coming unglued on the drivers side. They have one on order for me so I’ll see if they’ve made any adjustments to make it fit better. Seems to be a common issue.

FWIW mine was coming unglued on one of the corners when I picked up the car. I didn't bother having them address it because I was going to wrap my car and remove it anyways. The shop re-applied with their own adhesive and it's better but still slightly coming up in the same corner I believe.

Mine was pulling off when purchased, maybe 1/3 of it on the passenger side. I tucked a piece of 3M in there as a stop-gap before service and the CF is so stiff it ended up pulling away. I've read there was a factory issue with the adhesive placement and service replaced the spoiler with a new one at no charge. I did notice measuring from the edge of the trunk lid (horizontally) that it was off center by almost 2cm, so I suspect the fact it could not hold the contour caused it to pull off. CF is really stiff material.

They’ve been having this issue since the beginning with Model 3’s and now on Model Y. It sounds like they need to do something with the design. Maybe they need to re-design so it to attaches to the top of the trunk lid (like the picture).
3E71D82B-1C3E-4402-B218-3AF3CAF8CB2D.jpeg

Mine was pulling off when purchased, maybe 1/3 of it on the passenger side. I tucked a piece of 3M in there as a stop-gap before service and the CF is so stiff it ended up pulling away. I've read there was a factory issue with the adhesive placement and service replaced the spoiler with a new one at no charge. I did notice measuring from the edge of the trunk lid (horizontally) that it was off center by almost 2cm, so I suspect the fact it could not hold the contour caused it to pull off. CF is really stiff material.

I was considering doing this as well, but as you said, it's likely to just go back due to the rigidness. I'll probably need to pull it off and re-do it one of these days. This week has been a test of sorts...heat wave and California and it doesn't seem like it's getting worse. As long as it doesn't fly off...