Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a third party CCS adapter which we had hoped to use at an Airbnb with an EV charger. What we realized too late, is that our Model Y does not support the CCS adapter ("not installed"). Has anything changed recently...with Tesla regarding a software fix? Or do you have to spend $450 to get the hardware unit to allow for CCS adapters? Are there any CCS adapters out there that work without a hardware change? Or will we just have to rely on J1772 and the adapter that Tesla provides with the car?
Thanks for any help you might have.

If your car does not support CCS, additional hardware is required. To verify, login to the Tesla Shop using the "SIGN IN" link near the top of the right column: https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter But then also contact Tesla Service and ask, as it may just be that chip mentioned above.

If it needs the full installation, I hate to tell you but that installation includes an adapter. But did that Airbnb really have a CCS fast charger though? Or do you mean in the neighborhood? Normally even if you're lucky all you'll get at a rental is J1772 or sometimes just a 240v outlet.

Last edited:
I want to thank EV_dad who was absolutely right. We just didn't look carefully and used the wrong adapter (duh). The Airbnb outlet does use the J1772 and it is now charging overnight...giving me much piece of mind since we are in an area with few fast chargers...and while we have our bikes, it is a long way home! Thank you!