Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console: Shell vs. Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've seen from various YouTube videos, there are major differences about the products themselves and the manufacturers - some of which have been pointed out already.
  • Thickness of material
    • Wraps are a few millimeters thick and don't change much in terms of surface height
    • Shells are much thicker and can make a move even surface from edge-to-edge in the center console - some people prefer this flatter look/feel/function
  • Ease of installation
    • Wraps will take longer than shells
    • Some "wraps" don't actually wrap around the edges - those will be quicker but you'll have less coverage
There are some other things that will vary by manufacturer:
  • Quality of the finish (e.g., carbon fiber can look awful or amazing)
  • Variety of finishes (matte, brushed, satin, shiny, etc.)
  • Availability of wraps to match other interior & exterior parts (dashboard, window controls, door handles, turn signals, etc.)
    • To my knowledge the only manufacturer that makes a matching wrap for a cupholder insert is Abstract Ocean

Andrew
2014 S 85
2020 Y LR

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
i see, says it is a "wrap" but it isn't. thanks, should have read more carefully.
bought wrap kits from tesbros and was disappointed. bought the door highlights and center console offers and ended up only using the door open button covers.
covering the shiny black console with a better looking non-reflective surface is a good idea.

• Helpful
I finally got around to installing my shell and it’s sooooooooo much better than a wrap.

1) since it’s thicker, there is no drop between the side trim and the console. It’s all even height

2) the soft feel to it makes it feel so much more premium

3) installation was a breeze. Just line up the pieces and press down

4) no air bubbles or wrinkles to worry about.

I’ll take photos tomorrow and post. I ordered mine on amazon for around $40

Well it arrived and was total garbage... and I threw it in the Garbage.

I guess I will go somewhere and get it professionally wrapped. Any recommendations for Encino, CA area?

You had me worried about my purchase but I think you got a bad one or didn't know how to install it correctly? Mike was perfect.... Just installed it today.

Attachments

• 20200825_152358.jpg
    20200825_152358.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 233
The satin was uneven or missing, all the pieces were warped so the didn’t stick correctly, who ever did the die cast didn’t know what they were doing at one point I thought are these for a different brand of car (laughable how they fit around the cup holders over shooting by 1/2 inch).

you orderd the Abstract Ocean one correct? I received mine last week and experienced the same. The cop holder area bows just by placing it down on the surface. I aborted the install and Im writing them.

• Informative
I finally got around to installing my shell and it’s sooooooooo much better than a wrap.

1) since it’s thicker, there is no drop between the side trim and the console. It’s all even height

2) the soft feel to it makes it feel so much more premium

3) installation was a breeze. Just line up the pieces and press down

4) no air bubbles or wrinkles to worry about.

I’ll take photos tomorrow and post. I ordered mine on amazon for around $40

link?