Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ceramic coating question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FrancoNY

Aug 8, 2018
NY
Most of the posts here about putting a ceramic coating talk about Carpro's CQuartz, which sounds like the gold standard-- but there is a shop near me that is advertising a special on something called GT Quartz Nano Ceramic at a much (MUCH) more reasonable price. Has anyone ever heard of this brand? Seems to be made by a company called Gliptone. Thanks in advance-

it's not cheap, it's just much less expensive than Cquartz - basically ~$400 rather than $1000-1500 or more which is what I've seen locally advertised for CQuartz.

Most of the cost in doing a ceramic coating is the labor in the prep and polishing so you are paying for a detailers expertise in those areas to make sure that the coating bonds properly to the paint. There are other things to consider as well. You might be paying $400 for a coating but how long does it claim to last? Do you have to apply a topper to it every 6 months? If the coating only last two years then was it really worth it in the first place?

Another coating to consider is Opti-Coat Pro+. You would get a 7 year warrantied coating that requires no toppers. Minimum price is $1299+tax but varies from Installer to Installer what they want to charge. But now you get a detailer who has been vetted from Optimum and a product that lasts 7 years and you don't have to top it which means you will likely be saving money down the road.

Reactions: FrancoNY
Have not seen that kind before, it costs about the same as the Cquartz as far as the coating itself.

I would say at the price point you are getting it is worth a try. Worst case scenario you need to redo with cquartz in a year or two.

As stated before just make sure the shop puts the same amount of prep work into it. All that paint correction is important, nothing worse than a coating that just works to lock in swirls/microscratches and make them shiny.