Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging amps do not return to full 30 on Chargepoint shared charger after other vehicle unplugs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm fortunate that my workplace has Chargepoint stations installed. They've recently gone to shared, but these are not the first shared chargers I've plugged into. Normally if another vehicle plugs in, the amperage will be cut to 12A and my rate will go from 20-23mph to 12mph. Usually when the other port is freed up again, I'll go back to standard 30A rate. The last week this has not been happening. First time I noticed it last week, the 3 didn't budge at all. It stayed at 12A even though I was not shared anymore. I went to the car, clicked the stop charging button, manually increased the amperage, clicked start charging, and was fine. Earlier today, similar situation. When the other vehicle unplugged, I only returned to 23A, not the full 30A. Went out, stopped charging, manually increased, started again, and it was fine. Any way to troubleshoot this situation?

So I'm fortunate that my workplace has Chargepoint stations installed. They've recently gone to shared, but these are not the first shared chargers I've plugged into. Normally if another vehicle plugs in, the amperage will be cut to 12A and my rate will go from 20-23mph to 12mph. Usually when the other port is freed up again, I'll go back to standard 30A rate. The last week this has not been happening. First time I noticed it last week, the 3 didn't budge at all. It stayed at 12A even though I was not shared anymore. I went to the car, clicked the stop charging button, manually increased the amperage, clicked start charging, and was fine. Earlier today, similar situation. When the other vehicle unplugged, I only returned to 23A, not the full 30A. Went out, stopped charging, manually increased, started again, and it was fine. Any way to troubleshoot this situation?
The fact that you COULD increase the charge rate is interesting. It sounds as if the car decided that the charger couldn't handle the higher rate. Or that you have reduced it in the past

Hmm, I've not had that happened to me on the shared power stations that I've used.

It's either the station or the car. If it's the station maybe it's because there's some voltage issue that the car thinks it's not safe to ramp back up to the full power. If it's the car then I dunno.

Any other Model 3's there that could try it out to see how it behaves?

Hm. Seems to be an issue again.
Yeah I’ve had the same issue with a charger I frequently use at my apartment. And my troubleshooting method has always been the same. Stop the charging, let it chill for a bit, then start the charging and it’ll let you increase the amps.

I turned to Google looking for a thread like this because NOW it is capped at 16A no matter how much I stop and start the charging. There are still some other tactics I’m going to try but it’s being very persistent right now.

Yeah I’ve had the same issue with a charger I frequently use at my apartment. And my troubleshooting method has always been the same. Stop the charging, let it chill for a bit, then start the charging and it’ll let you increase the amps.

I turned to Google looking for a thread like this because NOW it is capped at 16A no matter how much I stop and start the charging. There are still some other tactics I’m going to try but it’s being very persistent right now.
So another thing I have noticed with these shared power chargers is that if you only draw 5A for 10 min+ the station will lower its max current it’ll ever give you to allocate more for the other side I suppose. So I drew 5A for a while. Then it let me crank the A up to 30 but it’s still only drawing 16… super weird but I guess I give up for now.
IMG_0525.png

Hm. Seems to be an issue again.
Well, that photo clearly shows it's the EVSE that's doing it, not the car. It shows the EVSE is advertising 23a and the car is just taking what's offered. So, I suspect it's not a Tesla issue at all, but firmware changes by Chargepoint. I do know that some systems reserve power so that if another vehicle plugs in, they can give them some immediately without waiting for the other vehicle to adjust to a lower rate, but if that were the reason, you'd think you'd be limited all the time. The fact that it goes back to full power after you manually stop/start is strange.

Reactions: ewoodrick