Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging issues after 4 weeks parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have left my 2020 S parked for 4 weeks (dropped from 80% to 60%) and tried to charge it yesterday. Oddly the charger (3 phase type 2) gave me a No ground error and the car refused to charge. So I tested the charger on my other car - ran without a problem. Tried a mains charger and no joy either but ok with the other car. Lacking other immediate options I took the car for a quick drive and then tried again.
Hey presto - the 3 phase charger starts working now albeit only on 2 phases. I had to have the onboard charger replaced about a year ago as it was only working on 2 phases before. However, the weird behaviour after not using for 4 weeks is new - does anyone know whats going on?

The charger is fine with my other car and the internal charger reported all 3 phases working fine on that car. It seems 4 weeks sitting has caused something to degrade somewhere thats causing an issue with the on board AC circuits. A Supercharger uses the DC circuit which completely bypasses the onboard AC circuits so I guess is fine (had a similar situation when I had an individual onboard phase failure before).
Looks like I need to book it again for an onboard charger switch out.

Can you try restarting and see if the issue is resolved? Put your foot on the brake and press and hold the two scroll wheel buttons for about 10 seconds. After the screen fully restarts, do the same for the top two buttons on either side of the steering wheel.

Some other things:
-You may want to get a whole house surge protector if you don't already have one. These can help prevent bad power from getting to your charging station, possibly saving it and your vehicle.
-If you continue having trouble, Tesla can review your vehicle's logs. If it really is the charging unit, ask them to find out what went wrong and see if there are ways to prevent the issue from happening again.