Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Wall Charger issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings All

I am having problems since December last year when charging started to fail occasionally with a warning on the car’s display “no power” and a solid red light on the Tesla Gen2 charger. Reset charger and car and it recovered for many charging sessions.

During the Christmas time it got worse and charging failed more frequently, thus I tightened all connectors, and all was good again for a week after which it started to fail again frequently.

I was lucky and scored a free Siemens 3phase Charger and it worked well for nearly a month, but after that trouble came back and I managed to only get sometimes 1.5hrs of charging done, sometimes it failed right after 3 to 5 minutes.

I measured and monitored the 3 phase balance with L1 being slightly lower at 232 VAC compared to 241 VAC on L2 and L3. Switched off an old fridge an L1 went up again to about a stable 240VAC. Again, a few good nights of charging, but my luck didn’t last long.

Last resort, I changed the 3pole C20 circuit breaker in the switch board and guess what, it worked well for days before it started to fail yet again.

I then re-installed the Tesla Gen2 charger to rule out a defect on the new Siemens charger and it worked for more than 2 weeks without any issue, until Friday night when it failed again. Despite resetting the charger and the car, the fault did not clear and the charger showed various versions of red blinking lights [3, 4, 5 and 6 – different every time when I tried charging again]. I plugged in the mobile 240VAC charger for a second which stayed green [charging not started] and swapped over to the wall charger right away, this time all good and I was able to charge 2 nights in a row now with the wall charger.

I am lost as to what is happening here, I have done 5k km since December and all chargers on the road never failed on me or the car [mostly DC, often AC single phase mobile charger]. I spoke to the fantastic team from Jet Charge [who installed the Wall Charger in 2018] and they suspect a faulty on board charger unit.

Any tips or thoughts are most welcome!

I think that if it was the onboard, that the car would let you know.
I'm wondering if you are getting a ground fault and that's what kicking the chargers off. Is there any other 3Phase L2 locations that you can stay on for a little bit to test?

thanks ewodrick. I agree with your thoughts, but it is so bloody hard to identify an intermittent ground fault and track it down.

Tesla service is unable to help and also believe it is a problem at the house power and not the car, but no L2 in close proximity anywhere unfortunately