Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Powerwalls with Generator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cellima

Mar 5, 2023
CA
Hello All,

We had two Tesla powerwalls installed at our house and the plan was to add solar too, but the county wouldn't approve my solar array at the time so it ended up just being the powerwalls.

Shortly after they were installed we had an extended power outage where they ran out of juice. We had several back up generators and I distinctly remember plugging one of them into something that started charging the powerwalls.

Flash forward a couple years, we are renting the house out and there have been two more extended outages (yes, the house is in California) where the powerwalls have run out. Last year my tenant tried several different generators but none were able to charge the powerwalls.
This year we are here dealing with storm cleanup and I am trying to figure it out again. I know it's possible because we did it before, but I can't figure out how we did it. Any advice?

The generators I might have used include a:
4000 watt generac.
2200 Honda inverter generator or a
800 watt generac inverter generator.

The 4000 watt we jerryrigged to power the well pump in the past and it will feed the rest of the house. That one isn't working.
My husband cannot figure out how he might have connected the other two, as he doesn't have a double ended plug...
What the heck did we do?

Probably need a larger generator. The 4000 watt generator only supplies 16A at 240V, and the smaller one just a bit more than half of that. And all depends on the type of connection. Others here are more knowledgeable on this than I am....