Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program Grants in CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Has anyone done the Clean Vehicle Assistance Program $5k grants in CA? Looking to purchase a M3P around September this year, I am in SoCal and wondering when might be the best time to apply for the grants and put in my order for the M3P? I think the current wait time for M3P is about 9 weeks?

For the grants I will need to get approval before purchase which takes 2-3 months processing and I think it's good for 35 days. I will also be applying a loan probably through Tesla which is valid for 60 days. Just wondering if other has gotten the grants and when might be the best time to start the process? Just to complicate things, there is also a potential $7k new Green Act tax incentive coming. Anyone holding off for that? Any input appreciated!

Andy

I believe that the approvals are currently good for 125 days due to the pandemic, or at least that's what it said on my approval packet. I applied in October, and got approved in December. The grant will expire in late April. I thought about delaying delivery for a potential tax credit, but I don't know if it's even worth the wait. Who knows when that's going to pass, and even then, I wouldn't even qualify for the full credit. Best I can hope for is that if passed, it would become retroactive to the beginning of the year, but I'm not counting on it.

Im currently living in Bay Area and having a total grand of $17500. In Bay Area, we have a program called "Clean Cars for All" which gives me $9500 grant plus $2000 for in home charger. Other grants such as CVRP ($4500) and Clean Fuel ($1500, already applied when order) will lead to a total of $17500. Im feeling so lucky because without these grants I will be only afford a Model 3 in my dream

There's another pretty detailed forum on the process I linked below. It seems right now grant approvals are taking around 11 weeks. They originally extended the time you have to use it to 125 days (35 days normally + 90 additional days), but it seems they reduced it to a total of 60 days now. So I would just use all of this information to time your order. You can always apply and place your order and push back delivery until you receive approval. Also keep in mind the grant could go away or run out of money. It seems they paused it in early 2020 before restarting.

Personally, I applied on 1/29 and am hoping to get approved and take delivery around end of March or early April.

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

So looks like I have up to 4 months (2 months to get approval and 2 month to purchase) time to get the car. I am actually looking to purchase the car later this year (probably around Sept) so should I wait until May to file the grant? Any indications on when the grants might be running out of funding?

So looks like I have up to 4 months (2 months to get approval and 2 month to purchase) time to get the car. I am actually looking to purchase the car later this year (probably around Sept) so should I wait until May to file the grant? Any indications on when the grants might be running out of funding?
Hi Andy,

I think you should apply ASAP as they just ran out of funding and everybody will be putting on a reservation list since Mar 17th 2021. There are some data points suggesting that people are put on the reservation list since late Dec of 2020/ beginning of 2021. Applications usually take around 3 months to get approved during the pandemic but it will take much longer now since there is no more funding. So I suggest that you apply now n hopefully can get approved in Sep/Oct.

I do not work for CVAP or anything related, I just went through a lot of threads in this TeslaMotorClub community and have talked to some people from CVAP to get some of this information. Has anybody (who applied in late Dec 2020/ early Jan 2021) get approved yet? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Hi Andy,

I think you should apply ASAP as they just ran out of funding and everybody will be putting on a reservation list since Mar 17th 2021. There are some data points suggesting that people are put on the reservation list since late Dec of 2020/ beginning of 2021. Applications usually take around 3 months to get approved during the pandemic but it will take much longer now since there is no more funding. So I suggest that you apply now n hopefully can get approved in Sep/Oct.

I do not work for CVAP or anything related, I just went through a lot of threads in this TeslaMotorClub community and have talked to some people from CVAP to get some of this information. Has anybody (who applied in late Dec 2020/ early Jan 2021) get approved yet? Would love to hear your thoughts!
I applied on 12/22 and I have yet to hear anything. Especially since they ran out of funding, I don't think I will be hearing from them in a while. I did check to see my application status (which you can do on their website), and it is currently "in line to review." Hope this helps. Fingers crossed I get approved within the next few weeks, but realistically won't be for a couple of months.

Reactions: asenseoftri
I applied on 12/22 and I have yet to hear anything. Especially since they ran out of funding, I don't think I will be hearing from them in a while. I did check to see my application status (which you can do on their website), and it is currently "in line to review." Hope this helps. Fingers crossed I get approved within the next few weeks, but realistically won't be for a couple of months.
Thank you so much for sharing your DP! I’m sure you’re one of the first ones on the reservation list so I really hope that you’ll get it soon. 🤞

I got approved but can't order one due to the delivery time beyond the given dates. I was trying to order a used mod3 from tesla but a tesla rep told me that the grant doesn't apply to the used one just for the new one. I knew someone that was about to get a used one but was wondering if anyone else does?

I got approved but can't order one due to the delivery time beyond the given dates. I was trying to order a used mod3 from tesla but a tesla rep told me that the grant doesn't apply to the used one just for the new one. I knew someone that was about to get a used one but was wondering if anyone else does?
Only new for cvrp. there are other programs i think though(if income low enough)