Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise at low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S 100D. Fairly quiet vehicle except clicking noise on rough roads at slow speeds. Took it to Tesla and they think its somewhere inside the dashboard. They gave me an estimate for $800 to re-seat dashboard top pad and replace defrost mesh grill etc. Interestingly, the day it rains or car goes through carwash, the noise goes away for a day. I told this to Tesla but it didn't change their opinion. I am wondering if the problem is somewhere outside the car given that water takes away the noise. A non-tesla EV repair shop told me that ‘front upper control arm’ is loose. I am concerned that after spending $800, the noise still might not go away. Also, I wonder if I’ll end up with a new noise/rattle afterwards.

Thoughts on how shall I address this issue?

Video/Audio of the noise here. .

If it sounds like it's in the dash, I recall some talking about problems with a cooling fan for the MCU that starts hitting something. Like one blade on a fan hits everytime it rotates. Maybe the connection to when it rains is if you're tending to run defrost, that pushes more cool air through the upper vents in the dash, providing more passive cooling and MCU cooling fan needing to run less?? Just a thought.

Reactions: webcrawler