Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 2019 Rear wheel noise low speed/reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

Looking for some help!
I have this noise coming from the back of my TM3 2019, more towards the right for the past 2-3 months.
It happens mainly on low speed and when reversing (listen to video here):

I went to a well established independant EV garage today nearby (I am no longer under Tesla warranty) to find the root of the noise, but they were unable to find the problem.
They mentioned the rear LEFT knuckle is a bit loose and could be changed, but not necessary at this time.
They did the brake maintenance as well.

Does anyone have the same noise as me?
Thoughts? WD40 the suspension/knuckle joints? lol...

I have this noise coming from the back of my TM3 2019, more towards the right for the past 2-3 months.
It happens mainly on low speed and when reversing (listen to video here)

Really hard to hear and discern noises on that clip, sorry.
How many miles on your car?

I went to a well established independant EV garage today nearby (I am no longer under Tesla warranty) to find the root of the noise, but they were unable to find the problem.
They mentioned the rear LEFT knuckle is a bit loose and could be changed, but not necessary at this time.
They did the brake maintenance as well.
Thoughts?

Assuming that the shop knows what they are doing, I trust they had checked the wheel bearings and all suspension joints (sway bars, etc.).
That leaves the usual suspects you would encounter between 50-100K miles - dying shocks.

Find a way to consistently reproduce the noise, and it will help us with troubleshooting.
Does it re-occur when you push the fender up/down?
When you go over bumps?
When you accelerate? Break? Turn?

Good luck hunting,
a

Really hard to hear and discern noises on that clip, sorry.
How many miles on your car?

Assuming that the shop knows what they are doing, I trust they had checked the wheel bearings and all suspension joints (sway bars, etc.).
That leaves the usual suspects you would encounter between 50-100K miles - dying shocks.

Find a way to consistently reproduce the noise, and it will help us with troubleshooting.
Does it re-occur when you push the fender up/down?
When you go over bumps?
When you accelerate? Break? Turn?

Good luck hunting,
a
54000 miles

It hardly occurs when I push the fender up/down. Although I did hear it when I get out of the car sometimes, but difficult to reproduce each time.
It feels like if I leave the car idle for a few hours, overnight, the noise doesn't return until I drive for about 15 minutes and happens a lot more by the end of the day/night... (which makes me wonder if I need to lubricate something?)

I will need to pay more attention to the bumps again, but I think I remember it reproduces just a little bit.
Acceleration barely reproduces it, break doesn't until low speed, turning does not.

The reproduction happens very easily on slow reverse and forward. (I recorded it in my driveaway which is nearly flat, barely 5 degrees declination)

Will report on the bumps very soon.

Thanks for the reply!

Bumps did not trigger the noise.
Today, the noise was audible below 20mph and on any uneven terrain cracks/potholes/uphill/downhill.
Also I tried doing a quick acceleration turn and it feels like when the car gets a fair amount of torque, the noise returns for the rest of the day.
I would compare it as if I keep spraining the rear side of the car and it ''heals" overnight lol...

Today, the noise was audible below 20mph and on any uneven terrain cracks/potholes/uphill/downhill.
Also I tried doing a quick acceleration turn and it feels like when the car gets a fair amount of torque, the noise returns for the rest of the day.
I would compare it as if I keep spraining the rear side of the car and it ''heals" overnight lol...
Were you able to figure this out? My car is making similar noise

My car is making noise that sounds just like yours. Took it to the service (non-official) today and they said it's one of the rear knuckle bushings that needs replacement.