Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clucking noise on Model3 2020/1 SR+ , slow speed stop/go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

First of all, sorry for my bad english (from South Korea)

I got my Model3 sr+ 6 month ago, mileage is about 9000km, and found that there is a clunk noise from rear drivetrain (of course it's sr+).

I can reproduce the noise when it goes at low speed accelerating/decelerating.

I also found related threads from here, but couldn't find how to resolve it.

I went to Tesla Service Center, but the tech said it is normal backlash noise and all model 3 has it.

I also checked this noise with brand new model 3 at the Service Center, but cannot hear it.

I asked many model 3 owners and noone has this issue.

Please check the video link below and let me know if anyone has this issue or resolved.

Thank you.

That noise is exactly what I have been experiencing on my 2020 since it was a couple months old. Mine is coming from the front. SC replaced LF axle shaft in June this year but that has not resolved the issue. There is also a mild clunking when turning as parking lot speeds that sounds like steering rack mounting issue and/or the upper control arms. The control arms are a known issue from reading threads here.

The backlash noise statement is unacceptable.

That noise is exactly what I have been experiencing on my 2020 since it was a couple months old. Mine is coming from the front. SC replaced LF axle shaft in June this year but that has not resolved the issue. There is also a mild clunking when turning as parking lot speeds that sounds like steering rack mounting issue and/or the upper control arms. The control arms are a known issue from reading threads here.

The backlash noise statement is unacceptable.

I think we can accept it if all model 3 has backlash noise with acceptable volume, but it is not acceptable volume!

I really hope Tesla could find solution for this backlash noise issue..

Thank you for your reply

Definitely sounds abnormal to me, but unlike what I’d expect from a CV joint. Turning would only affect them on a steer axle because of the change in angle.

I’m guessing something internal with the motor, but tough to say without hearing it in person. Maybe a rubber suspension or RDU mount bushing?

Definitely sounds abnormal to me, but unlike what I’d expect from a CV joint. Turning would only affect them on a steer axle because of the change in angle.

I’m guessing something internal with the motor, but tough to say without hearing it in person. Maybe a rubber suspension or RDU mount bushing?
]

Thank you for your reply.

That is what Tesla tech guy told me :) it is backlash noise coming from rear drive unit and it is acceptable/normal for all model 3s ( of course it is not normal, maybe common)
I think they at least try finding out where the noise comes from and do something without saying "YEAH, IT IS NORMAL"

I really wish how many owners have this kind of noise, how to fix it.

Thank you again!

That's the noise! Normal gear lash? Really?! Then why did it not make the noise for the first few thousand miles, Tesla?

Maybe after some time and lots of warranty claims Tesla have a response/remedy.

I mean granted, my previous cars a Honda Accord auto, and vw Gli dsg both made some weird ass gear/transmission noises.

Just googling clunk drive unit shows a bunch of results even going back to the begining model s etc ...

Looks like a thing that's been going on for a while.

Last edited:
안녕하세요, 저도 서비스센터에서 동일 증상, 동일 진단 받았습니다.

I also visited SC due to the exact same noise you experienced. FL Lower arm, FL half shaft assy, stabilizer link was replaced but the noise still continues and final diagnosis was also 'normal backlash noise'. I am curious to know how you are dealing with it now.