Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado - Rocky Mountain Model X experience at high elevation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Let me preface by saying I own a RWD model 3, but drive an LR3 with Nokian metal studded tires in the High Rockies in the winter as my main vehicle. I live just below 10k feet year round, and I’d love to finally replace my LR3 with a model X if possible.

I see many posts regarding driving from Denver to Aspen, Breckenridge, etc. and fairly good write ups about that. However, that is much different than living here full time and having to deal with multiple days of very heavy snow, cold temps, etc. So, while I value input from commuters going up to the mountains, what I am really looking for is 1st hand feedback - positive or negative - from others living full time in any high Colorado mountain town regarding using a Model X as their main vehicle.

I’ve spent weeks at a time at my cabin in the Sierra (around 7k feet elevation) over winter. This past winter was deep. No problems at all. Best snow/winter car I’ve had.

One morning driving from the cabin the the local ski resort, woke up to +1.5 feet of fresh on the roads, still not plowed. The X handled it like a champ.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
I live at 7400 ft in the Vail Valley. Took delivery of my MX75D in Dec 2016. I have the original all season tires on 20" wheel with 32K miles. I will replace these tires this winter.

So far, never had a problem driving and last winter was epic snowfall.

I highly recommend the MX for high altitude winter driving.