Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of Energy Consumption and Charging Parameters from M3 LR 2021 for M3/SMT/TeslaFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Steve446

Dusty Crophopper, M3 LR 2021 Midnight Silver
I am compiling my M3 Ireland road trip carried out end April-beginning May. In order to have a reasonably accurate idea of energy consumption and cost I created a comparison table for data from my M3, SMT and Teslafi. I've read here that some data for these different ways of displaying the data doesn't alway correspond. Up to a point that's understandable since although most of the information comes from the same source (M3 MCU and BMS), the way it's retrieved and presented can involve reporting errors related to information exchange/data processing and rounding (amongst others).

Overall I thought the accord between the data was quite decent, enough to allow me to use it for driving (all) but less so for charging (SMT) - in the case of the trip report. One has to be careful about the terminology used since this can differ between the three methods, for example, "Amount Added", Amount Used" "Amount Supplied" etc., though I realize that these are coined terms from TeslaFi and SMT CAN Bus data. There are some unclear things or mysteries though and I wondered if anybody on this forum had experienced these too?

Below is the summary table. For the record my car is a 2021 M3 LR MiC with the LGM 75 kW M48 battery. The car started @ 100% SoC (72.1/68.9 kWh) and finished with 28.1% SoC (22.6/19.4) [Nominal Remaining/Usable]. Energy totals for charging start from the charge from 2.39% to 100% until return and was mostly from DC chargers.

Main conclusions are:
- good agreement between the three methods for Wh/km, kWh energy used for driving;
- as mentioned above, somewhat confusing between terms for, "amount added to battery", "amount used" / "supplied by the external charger" and, for SMT in particular, "Charge Total, Used or Supplied" and "Discharge Total" (what do they actually contain?);
- curious differences for amounts used and SMT discharge total (apparently more than was put into the car...).

I'm not trying to pin this down ridiculously but before I publish my road trip am just interested to consolidate and/or explain the data, so any comments or misinterpretations spotted are entirely welcome thanks.

1718701296504.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Nice! When I look at the 3 sets of data, I'm guessing the tiny differences are accumulated rounding errors.

View attachment 1057548
Yes that would certainly seem logical for the SMT and TeslaFi data. For the M3 screen it's a bit closer to "home" and hard wired (no harnesses or internet connections to get there). But maybe that's my own speculation :)

• Informative
Reactions: KenC