Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Tesla model 3 / Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon all,

I'm in the market for an EV and am strongly considering a Tesla. The only reason why I haven't bought one is because I'm pretty concerned about the reliability of the M3. I don't care much about panel gaps, rough paint jobs, changing air filters, having to go into the SC to get minor repairs etc. But even just looking at the posts in this forum over the last 2 months, I see multiple owners talking about how their cars randomly die, wont turn on, screens are blacked out and won't reboot, or more generally just find their car undrivable.

I know that all cars are at risk of catastrophic failure to some degree, and I know that forums typically amplify problems since this is where people congregate to air grievances - but this seems to be a common issue. I can't really afford to have a car that will leave me stranded.

Thoughts?

Afternoon all,

I'm in the market for an EV and am strongly considering a Tesla. The only reason why I haven't bought one is because I'm pretty concerned about the reliability of the M3. I don't care much about panel gaps, rough paint jobs, changing air filters, having to go into the SC to get minor repairs etc. But even just looking at the posts in this forum over the last 2 months, I see multiple owners talking about how their cars randomly die, wont turn on, screens are blacked out and won't reboot, or more generally just find their car undrivable.

I know that all cars are at risk of catastrophic failure to some degree, and I know that forums typically amplify problems since this is where people congregate to air grievances - but this seems to be a common issue. I can't really afford to have a car that will leave me stranded.

Thoughts?
The people who have problems with their cars will be more vocal about it, so it will seem like the problems are more common than they actually are. It's more likely that someone who has a problem with their car will post about it on the forums seeking a solution, while it's less likely that someone who is happy with their car will post about how happy they are with their car.

FWIW, and purely anecdotal, I had a 2019 Model 3 SR+ for 18 months without a single problem and never had to visit the service center.

Last edited:
Since there aren't too many electric cars and Tesla already has an established brand an network I am considering Tesla. I like a smaller car so I am thinking of the 3 or Y. I have a few questions for owners.

1. Did you buy or lease?
2. Is the resale value good?
3. How is the build quality?
4. Is there a way to get a 360 camera view?
1. Will buy....awaiting our delivery date x 2
2. Walk across the street here to the EV outlet and you can see how much resale is.....this is why we elected to purchase new. Crazy Used prices right now
3. Not sure but the one we passed on in May had serious issues (declined order from another person)...back in the queue.
4. Again not sure on this as we have ours on order....hopefully next month! I typically don't use 360 view as I always use mirrors (old guy).

1) Only will buy - Lease can not be bought out. Though, most can't afford to buy cash and have to go the lease or 72+ month payment route.
2) Resale value is not a factor, as the market will change. Buying to get in alignment with clean power, cost effective very cheap electrical power and amazing performance + quietness. Elon is the modern Steve Jobs...
3) Haven't taken delivery yet - very soon - the Build quality on my 2021 Acura RDX Aspec SHAWD is very good - the cars I have seen in the Tesla parking lot are similar. They have come a long way.
4) 360 camera is not a substitution for your eyes in any car, as the distances on the screen might not compute to what your eyes see

Reactions: ColoradoMike