Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracking/Popping Noise from Front End - P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did the SC fix the noise, replace bolts in steering rack housing or install friction shims between steering rack and subframe?

Do you have pictures of what the fixes looks like? I've supposedly had both done to my car but I still have the noise.

I was never able to figure out what they did to fix it. I can't find any signs of fixes either. I will say that when i adjusted my toe inward a few degrees, the noise came back...and then went away when i adjusted the toe back out. maybe binding?

That's far less than they quoted me to replace the rack back before they realized my warranty was still in place. I'm going to press a little harder on my case, because it's been doing this SINCE they put in a new rack in 2021.

It turns out that was just the $255 diagnosis fee and labor to replace the steering rack. They didn't add the price of the steering rack until a day later, $2,750.

Definitely press them to fix it under warranty since the rack LEFT HAND DRIVE 1.00 STEERING GEAR - STEEL BOLTS+WAX(1453628-00-B)
is listed in the RCMN-18V204-1014.pdf bulletin.

Last edited:
Folks, I finally got this resolved. Cost $301 from the local SC.

While it’s always a little tough to get details on repair scope, they said that “several suspension components were not torqued to spec.”

At any rate, the steering feels super smooth, no pops or creaks, and the steering actually feels sharper (makes me wonder if they actually shimmed the rack).

Reactions: Gtech and DerbyDave
Folks, I finally got this resolved. Cost $301 from the local SC.

While it’s always a little tough to get details on repair scope, they said that “several suspension components were not torqued to spec.”

At any rate, the steering feels super smooth, no pops or creaks, and the steering actually feels sharper (makes me wonder if they actually shimmed the rack
Could you please do me a favor and take a look at the service history in the program on your phone what they done? My car is currently in the service with the exact same issue, and they are not certain about it, even though the problem is quite common. If possible, could you also upload the service bill so that I can see what has been replaced or repaired? Thank you!

Could you please do me a favor and take a look at the service history in the program on your phone what they done? My car is currently in the service with the exact same issue, and they are not certain about it, even though the problem is quite common. If possible, could you also upload the service bill so that I can see what has been replaced or repaired? Thank you!

Unfortunately, and as is very, very typical of Tesla service, they provided zero details. I even asked them in person when I picked the car up because I hate not knowing what was done to fix a nagging issue. They just said "re-torqued suspension components to spec, like the fore and aft arms."

Nothing was replaced, just service on existing components. If yours is in service now, maybe just ask them to check the torque of all of the movable suspension components.